Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: closing question (will this work?)

1. Back To Top    #1

closing question (will this work?)

In early Sept this year, I had a fiberglass inground pool installed. I'm located in western new york and was wondering if I can just put the safety cover on and let the filter pump run on low speed just to slowly keep the water moving all winter long, instead blowing out and plugging the lines? I've been told moving water wont freeze. I have a cartridge filter and would remove the filter cartridges and let the system slowly/continuously circulate till I'm ready to reopen in spring. Has anyone done this before?
    15k gal inground Viking fiberglass pool; Hayward Variable 1.5hp pump (Maxflo VS); Hayward swimclear 325 sg ft cartridge filter; Raypak 206A 199k btu nat gas heater; Aquabot Bravo robotic pool cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: closing question (will this work?)

I wouldn't, rivers freeze and they have moving water.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

And when the power goes out in a snowstorm....
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Moving water absolutely will freeze, it just takes longer. When you get several days of sustained below freezing temps the water will freeze, destroying your pipes, pump, and filter. Do it the right way, it is less hassle.

JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson
    Moving water absolutely will freeze, it just takes longer. When you get several days of sustained below freezing temps the water will freeze, destroying your pipes, pump, and filter. Do it the right way, it is less hassle.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt.
    Yes; not worth the chancing it ... I will have it closed the right way. ( free this first time around with the new pool purchase)
    15k gal inground Viking fiberglass pool; Hayward Variable 1.5hp pump (Maxflo VS); Hayward swimclear 325 sg ft cartridge filter; Raypak 206A 199k btu nat gas heater; Aquabot Bravo robotic pool cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Unless you do this...one of the PB's I interviewed has a customer (elderly woman) who runs her heater all winter long to keep her pool at 80+. They'll be no freezing in that pool. He also said that no snow stays on the deck/ground within several feet of the heat sink. A backup electric generator would be a must. It's only money.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreswim
    Unless you do this...one of the PB's I interviewed has a customer (elderly woman) who runs her heater all winter long to keep her pool at 80+. They'll be no freezing in that pool. He also said that no snow stays on the deck/ground within several feet of the heat sink. A backup electric generator would be a must. It's only money.
    It would be kind of fun having a swim on a new years day at the same time with a few snowflakes lightly falling down. probably cost between $900-$1200/month to keep it heated to 80-85

8. Back To Top    #8

In Western NY you will definitely want to winterize your pool.

Predictions are for a long cold winter .... hopefully we will have a foot plus of ice on all of the waterways.

As sad as it is to close the pool the saving grace is it's time to jig Lake Trout through the ice
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner