Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool closing in California, pump run time? Leslies polyquat?

1. Back To Top    #1

Northern California

pool closing in California, pump run time? Leslies polyquat?

I have had a great summer using the BBB method, SLAM, and testing free chlorine. I bought the test kit recommended and it was great, so was the stir thing for the water tests.

Now it is time to shut things down. The trees still have all their leaves but that will change in the next 30 days.

Can I use the leslie brand of polyquat? ... 14025.html

Do I need some sort of minimal pump run time?
    What about Chlorine? do I maintain some level all winter? even after water temp is below 60 degrees?

Nightime temps will get to freezing but not much below, and my pump has a freeze feature, and I may use some old bubbly cover to wrap the filter, pump and exposed pipes.

Thanks in advance, !

Northern Californio

18,500 gallons
    Cartridge Filter
    Inground. Pebble Tech, Pentair Variable Speed Pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: pool closing in California, pump run time? Leslies polyq

You don't need to use Polyquat if you keep your pool pump running over the winter and add chlorine periodically to maintain the FC level. You should find a much lower daily chlorine loss rate especially if you cover the pool so that it is not exposed to sunlight. I find that when the water gets colder at 50F that with no sunlight exposure the chlorine loss rate drops to 1 ppm FC every 2 weeks. So it becomes very easy to maintain the pool with infrequent dosing. Even without a cover, the amount of sunlight is significantly less this time of year.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3
    Pleasanton, CA

"Northern California" constitutes an extremely wide range of climates so it is difficult to advise you with just that information. But I can tell you what Pleasanton, CA is like during the winter.

During the winter, I usually reduce run time to about 2 hours per day (1 hour full speed, 1 hour low speed).

When water temps drop below 50 degrees and the SWG shuts off, I will sometimes shut off the pump until air/water temps warm up a bit. Chlorine usually carries over during that period and algae doesn't grow very fast so it isn't much of an issue.

We get freezing temps below 32F but only for a few hours per night and no more than 8 hours per night which I found is not enough time to freeze the water in the pipes or equipment so I don't bother with freeze protection. However, your climate may be different.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

If you choose to use polyquat, that Leslie's stuff will work.

I don't have to worry about freezing where I live - we might see frost a couple times a year, but that's it --so I don't actually close my pool. It just gets too cold to use and too expensive to heat. I end up running the pump only about two hours a day, plus whatever it gets when I vacuum. Chlorine usage goes waaaay down, even without a cover. I found the bubble cover to be more work than it was worth; it didn't really keep much debris out, it just held it there until the cover needed removing, and then it all went in at once. Without a cover, I can vacuum whenever I think the pool needs it without wrestling with the darn thing. And if something needs attention, I'm more likely to see it if there's no cover on the pool.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!