Waterfall for pool or landscape water feature

Jun 1, 2013
Huntsville AL
Originally I was planning to do a small waterfall when doing my pool build. So far I have only read of some issues with ph and cooling the pool temp down. The system will definitely be salt. I just wanted to get input on what would be better. Somewhere in the back yard I just want the sound of the water. Here is a good example of the size I am looking at.

There shouldn't be any problem adding the water feature you want. You will want to keep an eye on your pH and adjust it as needed. If you build a plaster pool you will need to keep a close eye on the pH as the plaster cures over the first year anyway. If you use stone for your coping or to build your water feature be sure to use a salt resistant stone if you decide to use a saltwater chlorine generator.

If you are concerned about monitoring the pool's water feature you can always install a small pond with a waterfall nearby so you can enjoy the water feature without worrying about how it will affect the pool.

The pool will be a liner 18x36 or 20x40. Pretty much a sport pool with the max depth in the middle at 6'. We definitely plan to go with salt. For a small waterfall like the one in the picture how hard is it going to be to keep the pH in range? I guess there are drawbacks to both. It would be nice to just go with a pool waterfall and run everything off the same pump if it is not to much of a hassle keeping the pH right.

It depends on how much you are going to run the waterfall. Is it always going to be on or only when you are around to enjoy it? If you can maintain a lower TA and possibly add borates, the pH may in fact be relatively stable.

Personally I would rather have it as part of the pool instead of having a separate body of water that must be dealt with to prevent it from going swampy.

Many SWG owners, including myself, experience rising PH without waterfalls so you may need to be prepared for that either way. If you don't want to fiddle with the PH, you could always get an automatic acid dosing system. Some SWGs units have this capability but you have to pay for it.

Yes I prefer to have it part of the pool as well. I will probably plan to run it majority of the time just in case. I may decide to shut it off during the week but run it all the time on the weekends.
As far as SWG units go I plan to go with whatever is recommended here on the forums. I would rather spend a little extra upfront on equipment than deal with minor issues for years to come. Trying to get all this lined up and organized before the build starts. As far as water features go are there any specific sites recommended for purchasing? I can buy just a scupper kit (I think it is called that) and build the fountain myself or buy a complete kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.