Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG hi or lo

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG hi or lo

Question about SWG. Are SWG supposed to run hi or lo when it comes to the timer connection. Right now my pump is running on hi while my SWG is running on lo. My pool guy says that both the pump and the SWG need to be running on hi. He called the time manufacturer and they told him that it is a wiring issue and that both need to connected on hi. Please help.
    Brand: San Juan Pools, Type: Fiberglass, Model: Mandalay Bay (Pool/Spa combination)
    Width: 11'8", Length: 25' 1", Depth: 5' 7", Area:198 ft2, Volume: 6,600 G, 2 Returns, 5 Spa Jets
    Pump: Hayward 2 Speed/ 1.5 hp, Filter: Hayward C-1200, Filter Size: 120sf
    CompuPool Salt Gen., Timer: 2 spd Intermatic Multi Purpose Control

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG hi or lo

As long as the SWG is happy and doesn't alarm, you can run it on low. However, I would wire it to run on both high and low speeds. Assuming you are using a two speed timer with dual timers, just connect the SWG controller to the pump power timer instead of the speed timer. It will then run on both high and low speeds.

BTW, most SWGs run on both high and low speed.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Hello Mark,

Thanks for the reply. The timer is an 2 speed Intermatic Multipurpose Control model P1353ME. The SWG is a Compupool SWG. The pump is a Hayward 2 speed 1.5 hp, filter is a Hayward C-1200, filter size 120sf. If any of this information helps let me know. Thanks.
    Brand: San Juan Pools, Type: Fiberglass, Model: Mandalay Bay (Pool/Spa combination)
    Width: 11'8", Length: 25' 1", Depth: 5' 7", Area:198 ft2, Volume: 6,600 G, 2 Returns, 5 Spa Jets

4. Back To Top    #4

Is the third circuit being used on the timer? It could be set for both the high and low times if that is what you want. But there is nothing that says you have run it on high only, low only or both. It is really your choice. Normally, you want to run on high as little as possible which can be a problem for a SWG since it has a maximum output. So if I had to choose between high and low speeds, I would choose low as long as the SWG generates chlorine on low speed which it should with that pump. I was just suggesting that you should be able to set it up to run on both speeds if you really want to.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

No the third circuit is not being used. My pool guy called Intermatic and they told him to run them both on hi. Does that make any sense?

6. Back To Top    #6

I think my main concern is if both the SWG and pump can run on hi without any damage or complications. Another question is can both start at the same time? and for how long should either run?

7. Back To Top    #7

Usually you'll need to run your pump longer for the SWCG to generate the amount of chlorine needed. The SWCG doesn't care whether it high or low unless low doesn't provide enough flow. I have a Compupool CPSC 48 and run approx. 10 hours on low without any issues. Running on low saves energy.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm having a problem understanding exactly how the pump and the swg are hooked up.

You say that the pump is running on high but the swg is running on low? I assume what you mean is that the swg is wired to run only when the pump is running on low speed? If that's the case, then as long as the swg is happy it's fine to run it on the low speed side. However as Mark said, you have a third circuit on that timer that you could use to run the swg whenever you want or need it to, either during high or low speed pump runs.

P.S. Please combine some of the lines in your sig so it'll meet the 5 line rule if you don't mind.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you Dave,

Sorry for any confusion. Im not sure myself on the wiring of the pump and swg. I will bring it up to my pool guy and see if the third switch can be used.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    ...as long as the swg is happy it's fine to run it on the low speed side...
    What exactly is a happy swg?

11. Back To Top    #11

That means as long as it's not shutting down on low flow, etc.. When it's running fine with no errors, it's happy!

They may have it wired to run when the pump is on low because the pump usually runs longer on low than it does on high, and hooking the swg up to run during that time gives it longer to generate the required amount of FC to keep the pool chlorinated properly.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Your timer is a good one. Here's the link for the manual: http://www.intermatic.com/~/media/Inter ... 353ME.ashx

I think you want your timer in mode 2, hi/low and aux. (page 18) or possibly mode 4 (page 20). How long do you run on hi? How long do you run on low?
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida