Long hot summer with no pool

Apr 12, 2013
I began my pool remodel in May, and had a number of stumbling blocks, but now the coping and tiles are on. They built up the mortar on the bond beam as much as 3 inches, but more like 1 1/2" in most places, before sticking the 12" X 24" precast coping with thin set. I am having paver decking installed and using polymeric sand for the joints.

My first question is: before the pavers are installed, should I attempt to waterproof the backside of the pool where the mortar buildup is showing? I know water will get between the pavers and the coping with hosing down the deck, and occasional rain. The pool is on the north side of my house so half of it is in the shade all winter. Although we rarely get below 32 temps, occasionally we do, and I have had ice on my pool. This is Las Vegas. I was thinking about painting on an elastomeric, AquaDefense by Mapei, before they come to install the pavers.

Related Question: There seems to be conflicting thought on installing an expansion joint. I had tiles fall off my original, starting on the north facing side which has the decking wedged between the pool and my house. Expansion joint and the elastomeric?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I was 30 when the original pool was built, and now I'm a senior citizen; I want to enjoy my pool instead of dealing with too many problems! Thanks, Jackie

My pool is 15,000 gal, 15X30, gunite/plaster.

The expansion joint would be between the paver decking and the coping, all around the pool. Like Deck-o-seal and Deck-o-foam. The paver rep (Belgard pavers) says the expansion joint is not needed, but my "mentor" helping me through this project says that it is always needed, even in Southern CA.

I don't have one pool contractor, but have subbed out parts. The guy who installed the coping and did the bond build-up is supposed to come back and do some "touch-up." I can ask him about using the elastomeric as a sealer on the mortar build-up on the dry side of the pool where the pavers will be installed. I know that is not a substitute for the expansion joint, but I thought it might keep the mortar build-up from water-damage, then shifting the coping that is installed on it, and pushing tiles off.

I will take some pics tomorrow and attempt to post them. Thanks for your reply... Jackie

Pictures would really help here.

I'm not sure what you want to seal, so a picture would be good.

Las Vegas has wide temperature swings so expansion joints are important.

With pavers they are not as important because usually the paver area is large enough with enough give to accept any expansion or contraction. Your pool will expand and contract at its own will. It is a giant rock. Your pavers have to be able to accept that movement.

If the paver area is not wide - say more than 10 feet - you need something for expansion. Any area near your house or another structure would be problematic.

As long as the paver area is large enough and provides give to the pool structure you shouldn't have a problem.

My third attempt at a method to post pics:

the SW corner showing the old gunite shell, the new mortar build-up, thin-set and the coping with grout
eioa5l.jpg

another corner showing a trowel stuck in to show the depth of the gap
xf4uw7.jpg

typical of most of the set coping pieces with 1 1/2 " premix concrete
2w6rsx3.jpg

The whole (hole in the ground!) pool
w6yxye.jpg

1.) I am wondering if I need to waterproof the new mortar and/or add some caulk to the gaps
2.) Do I need an expansion joint all around the pool? I am using pavers with polymeric sand. Re the last reply, only one side will have ten feet; most will just follow the pool shape with a walk-way from 2' to 3' of pavers.
Thanks again, Jackie

As I said before, your pool is going to do what it wants. If your pavers are such that they can accept the movement without causing a problem then you are ok.

A expansion joint won't hurt and it may save you later on. On the other hand, many are built without such. Look at page 14 of this build: pool-build-california-dreaming-3-years-closer-t20686-260.html

I really don't think you are going to have a problem on the sides.

Thanks for the link. What an amazing endeavor he undertook! Makes my pool like a goldfish bowl in comparison.

Someone posted a pic on page 9 of his thread of roots from the planter coming through under the coping. I just remembered I noticed that I had roots under my coping in places and between the coping and the pool shell when the coping was removed in January. But that coping had been there 34 years. And a big tree root pushed up my decking. That root wouldn’t have been there had there not been water. Something to think about

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.