Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool patio paver selection - am I overthinking it?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool patio paver selection - am I overthinking it?

We are trying to figure out which paver we want to use around our IG pool. 1300 sq ft. My wife and I are having a heck of a time picking a paver, but more so, which company to go with. Does it really matter that much? We like Venetian Stone from Pavestone, Palazzo from Rinox, and Urbana Stone by Belgard. All are the same compressive strength and the same water permeability rated (<5%).

Does the brand really matter? I like the Rinox pattern, and some guys say Rinox is better than the other 2, some say it's better than Pavestone, but not as good as Techo, but better than Belgard...etc. So many opinions. I know Rinox and Techo are both owned by family members (or ex family members) or something like that. Belgard suffered from quality issues years ago...

Am I way over thinking this? I admit that the Rinox 10" wide coping paver is very attractive vs the 6" available from Belgard. Much fewer joints. And Pavestone doesn't even havea 6" coping paver. I'd like to go with all the same company.

Any opinions? My builder says for my use, there's really no difference...they are all good. He does like the fact that the Rinox are made to canadian concrete standards, which he believes are a bit better than the US standards.

Thanks
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Pool patio paver selection - am I overthinking it?

Yeah, overthinking a bit. Set in a sand base (right?), pavers are pretty forgiving so I would go with the one you like and will be functional. The other things you mentioned seem no important.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Salt resistance is of course very important.
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

4. Back To Top    #4

I have Belgard Lafit. Like it a lot! We live in Austin and Pavestone is about 40 miles south of us. My installer had bad things to say about Pavestone quality. I don't think you can really go wrong either way. I had a few samples of Artistic Pavers and I REALLY liked them, but shipping put it out of my reach. If you can afford it or get some reasonable shipping, I'd go that route!
    35'x16' IG geometric with 8'x6' spa (16.5K gallons); White Diamond Pebblesheen w/Abalone Shells; Jandy 460 cartridge filter; Jandy 2HP E pump; Jandy 400K heater; Water Tech Blue Diamond Pro; TF-100 w/SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Salt resistance is of course very important.
    Can you "measure" salt resistance?

Unlike a surface that is permanent, pavers can be removed and replaced if they suffer any salt damage,
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

In the Industry

I had pavers on my pool before redoing it with a cedar deck, they were a constant nuisance, always lifting or moving and the sand that can float up is annoying.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by pooladdict
    I had pavers on my pool before redoing it with a cedar deck, they were a constant nuisance, always lifting or moving and the sand that can float up is annoying.
    Sounds like your pavers were not properly installed.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks all. We finally decided...I actually forgot I had posted this, when I posted another about bond/solider rows on the outside edge.

Anyway, we decide on a paver by Rinox. Rinox Palazzo Modulo, with 9x9 and 12x12 squares mixed in (install pattern 4 on their website). And we are using the 6x9" paver from the pallets for a solider row all around the outside. Can't wait for it to be done. Now the question is regular joint sand vs polymeric sand...