questions on Pipe sizes and booster pump

Jul 27, 2012
Austin, TX
Hi all,

I am re-plumbing my equipment before replastering my pool. Just want to make sure my pipes are adequate.

My pool is about 24000 gallons. It has a combined spa and pool. The spa has 2" pipes on both return and supply. The pool has 2 skimmers which are connected to 1.5" pipes. The two 1.5" pipes then join to become a 2" pipe which goes to the pump. However, the pool return is only 1.5" while the spa return is 2". See the attached file.

1. Does it improve the water flow if I convert the short section of 1.5" pool return to 2" before it branches out to 5 wall jets. All my pipes are exposed, so it is not hard to change.

2. Most of booster pumps have 3/4" in/out pipes. Hayward has 1.5" in/out pipes. Since the pressure side of the booster pump will eventually connect to 1.5" pipe in the wall. Is it better to use a booster pump that uses 1.5" pipes all round instead of converting between 3/4" and 1.5"? I am wondering about water flow efficiency.

Thanks,

Scott

1. Exactly how much pipe are we talking about? Is the the pipe underground or the small section (2') of pipe that connects to the valve? The improvement is proportional to the amount of pipe so a 2' section of pipe is usually not worth the effort. But if it the pipe that goes from the pad to the pool, then it is worth the effort.

2. It probably won't make that much difference either way. Just go with what is more convenient. If you are concerned about efficiency, dump the booster and go with a cleaner that doesn't require one.

BTW, the biggest impact you can do to improve efficiency is to run at a lower pump speed so are you planning for a VS or two speed pump?

Also, how many jets do you have in the spa? 2" is really too small for almost any spa.

I think to get any benefit for the pool returns, you would have to replace a majority of the pipe (not just the 4'). Do you get much flow out of Jet 5? It would be better if you completed the loop between Jet 1 and 5 as well.

Think of it this way: you are sucking half the water through each of two 1.5" pipes from the skimmers ... and then forcing ALL the water through ONE 1.5" pipe.

I think you would find better flow through all your returns if you could ideally complete the loop and use 2" pipe for the loop. At a lower end: complete the loop with 1.5" pipe and use 2" up to the point it splits.

A spa with 6-8 jets cannot really perform well with just 2" pipe. If there is any pipe to be replaced, that is the one I would target and use 2.5".

Although it wouldn't hurt to change the pad plumbing to 2.5" either even though it will have less of an impact. Were your spa jets working properly and were they strong?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.