Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stamped Concrete Deck

1. Back To Top    #1

Stamped Concrete Deck

Hi,

I am working with the concrete company to lay down a stamped concrete deck on my new pool. I am stuck on what color to pick. I was instantly attracted to a light gray base with a light brown powder coat (the finished product looks like blue stone). I get full sun exposure and I am concerned the deck will be like a hot plate and not be walkable. Any one out there with a gray deck that gets full sun? Any suggestions on other colors?

Thanks,
    Doug
    13,500 Gallon Gunite Aggregate Finish, DE, SWG, 2.0 HP pump, 1.0 HP pump for 3 Sheer Descents

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stamped Concrete Deck

I have a light brown stamped pool deck that get full sun. It does get hot, but it looks good; not a lot of options. The problem I have is keeping it properly sealed. We put the pool in 4 years ago and I've had to reseal it every spring. I'm thinking the sun is wiping the sealer out.
    20x40', vinyl, Jandy sand filter, bromine off line feeder, 2.5 hp jandy pump.
    Near Cleveland

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Bluestone coping (some is blue/grey and some is much darker). Also have stained concrete in browns, tans and grays. It's all hot but looks great. Full sun. Just get wet and stay wet! You can see picks in our build thread (link in my signature).
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys. Jeffwantstoswim.....that is one heck of a pool!!

So, we are basically in the same region and get the same "type" of sun......you are both saying it gets hot.......but how hot?? Are people (especially kids) unable to walk on it in bare feet?....are they going, "ouch...ouch...ouch..." as they walk?

I think I am going with a medium color that is tannish and a textured look as opposed to a rectangular or stone look....mine will look like a giant slab of stone....I think that will be easier to clean and not have water sitting in the "carved" out parts....I'm a little conerned as I will have a SWG.
    13,500 Gallon Gunite Aggregate Finish, DE, SWG, 2.0 HP pump, 1.0 HP pump for 3 Sheer Descents

5. Back To Top    #5

I have not posted any pic's of my pool yet, but will try to get some on soon.
    My pool deck is stamped and colored concrete, light brown - it does get hot enough that when I walk on the deck in the afternoon, I'm wearing slides - kids would be saying ouch alright.
    Really any color will absorb energy and get hot.
    Near Cleveland

6. Back To Top    #6

Opps....I meant to say "bmoreswim.....that is one heck of a pool!!"

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks Jeffwantstoswim. I have been thinking I'll get a beige color and have it accented with medium brown, but then I think, "What's the point of getting stamped concrete if you can't make it beautiful?.....may as well get stamped concrete".

What's funny is the guy who is putting in my stamped concrete has a pool and he put his deck in. He has a medium brown/tan and he says it gets warm, but not hot where it is unbareable.

8. Back To Top    #8

I'll take a few pictures of my set up so you can see. It does get hot, but I do think it looks nice and would not make any change to the color (my Wife wouldn't let me anyway).
    Near Cleveland

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks Jeffwantstoswim! That would be very helpful....I took a picture out of the concrete installers portfolio and share that too....I'll try and post in a bit.

10. Back To Top    #10

Here is what I am more than likely going with....Sandstone (tanish) color with a textured pattern:
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Back To Top    #11

I'd love to go with this, but I am not sure the gray color will match to well with my Tan deck where the pool will be off of. Also, the pool is also right up to the house....6'. The color of my house is a clayish green. I also think this may get too hot.....but man oh man do I love this pattern and color!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Back To Top    #12

That's the pattern I have - pretty close in color too.
    FYI - I do get full sun so my sealer gets wiped out - first year I re-sealed myself without using traction in the sealer; when wet it was like walking on ice.
    Near Cleveland

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks Jeffwantstoswim. This is good info. The guy is telling me his doesn't get hot and that the sealer will be applied after he installs the deck and that I'll need to do it next season too....but after that, only once every second or third year. Yeah....I'm concerned I will have an ice skating rink!! I'll research sealers and traction another time.....

14. Back To Top    #14

if you get the same sun I do, you'll be sealing every year. I have it nailed down and can tell you how to do it.
    make sure you get all the information off the sealer the contractor uses - you'll want to stay with the same stuff.
    Near Cleveland

15. Back To Top    #15

Jeffwantstoswim, How do you apply the sealer? I'd imagine I'd be better off with a textured finish as opposed to the second picture's pattern I uploaded with the rectangles.....I am guessing the grooves will be difficult to get sealer in them??

16. Back To Top    #16

I took a few pictures, but they are too big and I do not know how to resize them.
    Private message me your e-mail, I'll send then to you.
    Near Cleveland