Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: above ground pool pump sizing

1. Back To Top    #1

above ground pool pump sizing

Hi , I have a 16 x 32 Doughboy pool with a deep end that I put entirely in the ground. The pool came with a 1 hp pump and sand filter set up . The problem I'm having is when I try to clean the pool with the automatic pool cleaner it doesn't seem to prime itself , like the pump isn't strong enough. The pump is on the ground ,so it's pumping up at the most 6 feet of head. I want to put the pump and filter in a shed which would be another foot or so above the lowest point of the pool . I'm considering a 1.5 HP 2 speed pump to help my situation. Just wanting feedback or suggestions.

Thanks Mike

2. Back To Top    #2
    Houston, Texas

Re: above ground pool pump sizing

If your current pump is an above ground pool pump they are gravity fed and not self priming. They can kind of self prime a little but the pool cleaner restricts the flow of water so you lose prime. If you replaced the pump with a 1hp pump for an inground pool you shouldn't have that problem. You can go bigger if you like, but the type of pump is likely the root of the problem.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Welcome to the forum.

If the pump fails to prime when you try to vacuum, you probably have an air leak in your vacuum hose. That allows the pump to suck in air. Inspect your hose carefully and you will probably find that air leak.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

OK Thanks - I'll check it out in the spring - I think there is holes in the hoses- I was planning on hard piping it anyway- Mike