Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmers always clean

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmers always clean

I've noticed that my skimmers don't really collect anything. Before today, the main drain and both skimmer valves were completely open. I decided to close the main drain pipe a little to see if it would make a difference. I did notice a little more current in the skimmer area, where before there was none. Both skimmers were still pretty clean. Any advice on how I can make sure everything is working correct. I know that that stuff is collected in the filter because i still have to backwash my filter and it looks dirty when I do. The thing is that I regularly see stuff floating on top of the pool and baskets are clean.
    17k gallon pool, pentair whisperflo pump 1hp, Pentair FNS Plus 36, SWG Hayward Turbo Cell 15 40,000g, blue quartz with pebble finish landings/bench, ultra pure water cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmers always clean

Also, I've noticed that my filters pressure reads about 10 after it was cleaned. The gage has an arrow at 20 to start and 30 to backwash. Would that have anything to do with it?
    17k gallon pool, pentair whisperflo pump 1hp, Pentair FNS Plus 36, SWG Hayward Turbo Cell 15 40,000g, blue quartz with pebble finish landings/bench, ultra pure water cleaner.

3. Back To Top    #3

You can turn the arrows on the gauge ... the idea is to point the one at the clean pressure and the other would indicate a 10psi rise as time to backwash ... BUT ... WE recommend that you backwash when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure. So, you should backwash before you reach 13psi. You can still point one of the arrows at 10psi to remind you what the clean pressure is, or point it a 13psi to remind you when to clean ... up to you.

With 3 suction lines open, it is not surprising to me that you had little skimmer suction. You may actually find that you get better skimming with only one of the skimmers open (the one on the downwind side) and maybe the floor partially open for circulation (although this is optional). You just have to play with them to see what works best.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

You should also check to make sure that the skimmer weirs (doors) are working properly. If they are missing, sticking, or waterlogged, then you won't get proper skimming action.

5. Back To Top    #5

This may sound dumb, but are they supposed to be opening when people aren't in the pool. I've noticed that when we are swimming they do fling open to allow water in but I don't think I've ever seen them open with just the pressure in skimmer

6. Back To Top    #6

Where is your water level in relation to the skimmer opening?
    "The early bird might get the worm, but its the second mouse that gets the cheese." ~ W. Rian Adams
    Relative's IG Vinyl | 16x32 | ~18,600 gals | Hayward 3/4hp Pump | Hayward S244T Filter | Pentair Model 300 Chlorinator (not used) | Polaris 180

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Jeetyet makes a good point.

Assuming your water level is roughly halfway up the skimmer opening, I would suggest closing down the main drain until you get enough flow through the skimmers that the weir doors lean far enough inward to allow water to flow over the top.

It'll take a bit to get it right but that should maximize your skimmer capability.

On my pool, even with the skimmers functioning correctly, I still don't catch as much as I'd like so I don't think you can ever get all the debris but it sounds like you can improve them with some flow adjustments.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

check the make sure the skimmers aren't clogged or your impeller

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for advice, partially closed main drain, actually almost fully closed and left both skimmers open. I Actually saw stuff in the baskets this afternoon!

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

there ya go! winner winner... just make sure you don't hear your pump "struggling" or your pressure on the filter drop a little... that means the pump is cavitating from not enough water, if not youre good to go