Taylor R-0012

In The Industry
Feb 7, 2013
Pool Country
Sometimes, when I add R-0012, the sample water is not changing from pink to blue.

Sometimes, when I add R-0012, the sample water is changing from pink to clear.

I have to add more R-0011L to get the pink color back.

I have had this problem with the sample water of multiple pools, but not every pool.

Why?

TaylorTechnologies.com said:
I've seen this happen before in two instances. Is it possible your R-0011L is old or contaminated? I would be happy to check your reagents for freshness. Please provide me with the lot number located on the reagent bottle. The lot number is four numbers followed by a letter, ie 1234A. Storage conditions are important as well. Reagent shelf life is primarily a function of storage conditions. If stored properly, most reagents can be effective for two to three years. Acids have a relatively indefinite shelf-life (assuming no contamination) as do powders and crystals (if kept dry and out of humid environments). Generally, reagents in amber bottles (e.g., R-0002) are natural oxidizers and are very sensitive to poor storage conditions.

Proper storage conditions involve the following general parameters:

. All caps should be screwed on tightly.
. All reagents must be kept out of direct sunlight and kept in the test kit case with the lid shut tight.
. All reagents should be stored in a temperature range of 36°-85°F.
. Do not store reagents near volatile treatment chemicals.

Any accidental deviations from these suggested storage procedures -even one time! - could result in degradation of the reagent's effectiveness. For that reason, as a general precaution, we urge people to replace their solutions annually.

The second possibility could be that you have a very high sanitizer(>20 ppm)level. This can cause your sample to bleach out, this is rare though.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
There is no problem with adding more of the die to have "brighter" colors to visualize. How old is your kit? Is the die staining the bottle?

Do you use the SpeedStir with the light on? Personally I do not like the under-light as it makes the colors harder to see for me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.