My Pentair LA01N Booster pump got shortet

Oct 21, 2013
As turn on the swith to turn on my booster pump I noted a spark on my ground cable where a few leaf were. When I saw the spark's I quickly turn the swith off. I waited a few minutes ad tried again without any luck. today I check the conductor and it seems to be ok, I also check the breakers to make sure they were still on. other then this what else should I check for? Iwas running okay until yesterday morning, It may have been becasue of the rain we had the previous day.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to TFP!

You shouldn't be able to see the ground lead on your pump. Do you mean the bond wire that connects to the case? If so, I would stop using the pool and get an electrician to check it out ASAP.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Well, start at the source of the power, turn the breaker off and back on, and confirm you are getting power to the switch. Then confirm you are getting power to the pump ... if so, then there must be something wrong with the motor.

EDIT: Yikes, apparently I did not read as well as John did!!! If you saw sparks to the bare copper bonding wire ... then you need to be very careful and likely get professional help.

The bare wire that attaches to the outside of the motor is NOT a grounding wire. It is a bonding wire and you should NEVER see sparks going to that as that indicates that you have stray electricity that is completing the circuit through that bonding wire. This is potentially very dangerous.

Wet leaves on the bonding wire should not be able to cause sparks!!!

poolduck said:
Can you please provide me with some steps to trouble shoot it?

Call a pro. Stay out of the pool. This could be life-threatening.

You have a serious wiring error/fault or an equipment problem. The leaves had nothing to do with the issue. Your bond wire should carry power only when a major problem occurs. It is connected to the metal parts of your pool so whatever voltage is on it is in your pool.

If you know wiring, you can check your wiring, particularly looking at the neutral and ground wires, but it could be an electrical issue that has nothing to do with your home or pool.

Is there a GFCI device in this circuit? I am thinking no. If there is that much current leakage it should have tripped one. I wouls be suspect of the whole bonding and grounding system for that pool. More the grounding part. Any spark big enough to see should have tripped the GFCI or quite posibly the breaker.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.