How to store pool chemicals? (rust in garage?)

DanaSC

May 16, 2012
Lexington, SC
I'm not sure where the best place to post this is, so hope this is okay.

We have noticed that our tools and my husband's golf clubs are starting to rust in our garage. Quick research online is leading me to wonder if the chemicals (bleach, pucks, leftover shock that we never use anymore, etc, muriatic acid, etc) are possibly causing this. Does anyone have any knowledge about this problem?

If this is the case, I'm happy to store our chemicals somewhere else...however we do not have a building outdoors to store stuff. I read somewhere that someone put their chemicals in a rubbermaid container and stored it outside, but my concern with that idea is that I believe these chemicals are heat sensitive, so that just sounds like an unsafe idea to me.

Can you give me any input or ideas on this?

If I had to guess, I'd suspect the acid as the culprit. Buying a couple of those small all plastic storage cabinets would be a good idea. You want two because you want to store acid and chlorine separately. You could get a really small one for the acid and a slightly bigger one for the chlorine depending on how much you have on hand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.