Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Covers for heater and SWG?

1. Back To Top    #1

Covers for heater and SWG?

I live in Ohio...15th season with my IG pool.

I have a new heater and SWG. Does anyone suggest covering these with some type of cover? I never had previously.

FWIW....I don't cover my AC unit for the house either.
    25,000 gal IG Utopia pool/Raypack gas heater/BBB

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Covers for heater and SWG?

The elements are always hard on man-made stuff. Covering is universally better. Not many people do, however.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I've never covered the heater, or my AC units either. Some will say dont do it because mice will get in there out of the weather where its protected and warm and chew the wires.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm curious to this as well. The pool company covered everything with plastic, but now I'm thinking that is not wise due to mice. Would it be better to uncover everything, filter, etc, or perhaps just the heat pump?
    20 x 40 28k gallon Salt Water Vinyl IGP, Hayward pump and Sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I cover my heat pump with an AC cover, but the bottom 1/3 is not covered, so it's still pretty cold in there. Never had a problem with the same cover on my AC unit.
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

6. Back To Top    #6

So I left it. And there is a nice mouse nest behind the control panel. Ugh

20 x 40 28k gallon Salt Water Vinyl IGP, Hayward pump and Sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by steveg_nh View Post
    I cover my heat pump with an AC cover, but the bottom 1/3 is not covered, so it's still pretty cold in there. Never had a problem with the same cover on my AC unit.
    +1 I do the same. And I loosely cover the rest of the equipment with a heavy duty tarp, leaving the bottom 1/3 open as well.
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

8. Back To Top    #8

An article I read in Popular Mechanics a while back mentioned not to cover AC units with a tarp. Moisture builds up underneath causing corrosion. They recommend placing a piece of plywood on top and securing it to prevent stuff from falling into the AC unit. I cover my AC unit in the fall with fiberglass window mesh to keep leaves from entering. I don't cover my pool heater because the top is solid and there are no trees around it.