what if I dont close pool? Snow / Ice

thelorib said:
its a brand new pool so Im not sure. I know I would have to run pump when its below freezing..
Not necessarily. We regularly get below freezing air temps during the winter and sometimes down to 20F but it is usually not long enough for the water to freeze in the pipes. So that is why I asked about the water freezing. If you have more than 8 consecutive hours of below freezing air temps, there is a higher chance of freezing but instead of running the pump, you could drain the pad equipment for a day or two and save a little on pump electricity costs. The underground pipes take much longer (days) before they will freeze. However, if the surface water starts to freeze, you will need to protect the skimmers from cracking. Another trick to prevent freezing of the equipment is to tarp it and put an incandescent light bulb (i.e. heat source) under the tarp. So running the pump may prevent freezing but there are other options as well. However, if you have days of constant freezing temperatures, then you are better off closing the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.