Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: what if I dont close pool? Snow / Ice

1. Back To Top    #1

what if I dont close pool? Snow / Ice

What if I don't close my pool? What happens with snow and ice? Im in Tulsa and we get both.
    Oklahoma
    30X20 Gunite pool completed in July 2013

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: what if I dont close pool? Snow / Ice

You'll have to keep the pump running whenever it's freezing. You'll also have to keep the water level down whenever you get snow. How hard does it freeze where you are?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Tulsa Oklahoma..we get ice more than snow
    Oklahoma

4. Back To Top    #4

Does the pool water freeze at all? How thick does it get?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

its a brand new pool so Im not sure. I know I would have to run pump when its below freezing..
    Oklahoma

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by thelorib
    its a brand new pool so Im not sure. I know I would have to run pump when its below freezing..
    Not necessarily. We regularly get below freezing air temps during the winter and sometimes down to 20F but it is usually not long enough for the water to freeze in the pipes. So that is why I asked about the water freezing. If you have more than 8 consecutive hours of below freezing air temps, there is a higher chance of freezing but instead of running the pump, you could drain the pad equipment for a day or two and save a little on pump electricity costs. The underground pipes take much longer (days) before they will freeze. However, if the surface water starts to freeze, you will need to protect the skimmers from cracking. Another trick to prevent freezing of the equipment is to tarp it and put an incandescent light bulb (i.e. heat source) under the tarp. So running the pump may prevent freezing but there are other options as well. However, if you have days of constant freezing temperatures, then you are better off closing the pool.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

thank you!
    Oklahoma