Correct pipe sizing for a pool remodel

Oct 14, 2013
We're getting ready to renovate our backyard. While we tear up the deck, we want to replumb our pool [it's a 30yr old pool w/ 1.5" pipes, one return line, etc...]. Since I have no desire to rip up our yard a second time, I want to make sure that we're specifying the best pipe sizes.

Some details on our setup...
. the pool is roughly 25K gallons and 35' by 15'
. we have a Pentair Intelliflow VF main pump
. we're planning on using a robotic sweep
. we have an attached spa w/ 4 jets

The PB has currently recommended the following for the pool:
2.5" pool suction
2.0" return, w/ 4 1.5" inlets to the pool

And, for the spa:
2.5" spa suction
2.0" return
2.0" booster w/ 2" venturi line

I'm thinking the pipe sizing is a bit under sized. I would expect at least 2.5" return for the spa. And most likely the same for the pool. Our goal is to reduce energy consumption [which is why we went with the Intelliflow in the first place].

If all the pool returns were plumbed individually to the pad, then 2" might be overkill. But there is really nothing wrong with going bigger as it will lower head loss and increase flow rate.

How long are the runs?

For the spa, I would use all 2.5" pipe including the air vent.

But what is meant by 2" Booster? Is that a air blower? If designed properly, the air vent should not need a blower. Just make sure he puts in a Hartford loop near the spa to prevent the air pipe from filling with water.

jblizzle said:
If all the pool returns were plumbed individually to the pad, then 2" might be overkill. But there is really nothing wrong with going bigger as it will lower head loss and increase flow rate.

It's spec'd to be a loop with a single line to the pad.

mas985 said:
How long are the runs?

For the spa, I would use all 2.5" pipe including the air vent.

But what is meant by 2" Booster? Is that a air blower? If designed properly, the air vent should not need a blower. Just make sure he puts in a Hartford loop near the spa to prevent the air pipe from filling with water.

Yes. That would be the line for a blower. The spa is around 60' from the pad -- where all of the lines will be run to.

I don't know what a Hartford Loop is. Time to do a little more research!

Whatever size you use please make sure the PB uses unions. Nothing bugs me more than seeing brand new pools installed without any way to disconnect the pipes if ever a problem comes up.

Leebo said:
Whatever size you use please make sure the PB uses unions. Nothing bugs me more than seeing brand new pools installed without any way to disconnect the pipes if ever a problem comes up.

Where would the unions be? On every valve / piece of equipment? Or, on every pipe coming out of the ground?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.