Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae, but chem levels good?

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae, but chem levels good?

Haven't posted in a while because I "though" I had everything under control.

Just went out after a few weeks (on vacation) and green algae is growing at water line only on non-sunny side.

Levels as follows:

FC = 7.6, CC = 0
    CYA = 45
    TA = 70
    PH = 7.5
    CA = 390

Any idea why it's growing? FC seems way too high for swimming AND algae.

Tx,
    D!
    ~32k gal, plaster, 3HP Intelliflo, 100 sqft Quad D.E., EasyTouch SWG, Gas/solar heating, Waterfalls x2, Dolphin M5 and Zodiac MX8 Elite

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Algae, but chem levels good?

Likely due to poor circulation. Regardless, visible algae is a trigger to SLAM your pool and get rid of it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure that it's poor circulation as I have the pump running 8hrs/day. There are 3 returns at 45 deg angles that make the water rotate in an anti-clockwise direction pretty well.

It did rain last week, and I have not checked the levels since. Could it have grown that fast?
    ~32k gal, plaster, 3HP Intelliflo, 100 sqft Quad D.E., EasyTouch SWG, Gas/solar heating, Waterfalls x2, Dolphin M5 and Zodiac MX8 Elite

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Goliath
    Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure that it's poor circulation as I have the pump running 8hrs/day. There are 3 returns at 45 deg angles that make the water rotate in an anti-clockwise direction pretty well.

It did rain last week, and I have not checked the levels since. Could it have grown that fast?
    Oh, yeah! 7.6 FC at 45 CYA probably dropped to zero in three or four days. Add the organic load from whatever the rain washed in, and you've got all the ingredients.

[center:3hkwwjlc][youtube:3hkwwjlc]uijLXS-IJZM[/youtube:3hkwwjlc][/center:3hkwwjlc]
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Why would the FC drop to 0? I was not adding any chlorine or derivative to get to the 7.6. That FC level has been fairly consistent over the last month. It is high, but I have not used the pool. The pump is running 8 hrs/day with SWG at 60% and it stays at 4 (hot days) to 7 now that it's getting cooler. I was going to lower the SWG % to get it to 4% until I saw the algae.

Are you saying the rain (which was only off/on for 1.5 days) dropped it to 0?

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Why would the FC drop to 0?
    Two things consume chlorine....sunlight and organics in your pool.

Chlorine is constantly being consumed in your pool so must be constantly replenished.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Goliath
    Why would the FC drop to 0? I was not adding any chlorine or derivative to get to the 7.6. That FC level has been fairly consistent over the last month. It is high, but I have not used the pool. The pump is running 8 hrs/day with SWG at 60% and it stays at 4 (hot days) to 7 now that it's getting cooler. I was going to lower the SWG % to get it to 4% until I saw the algae.

Are you saying the rain (which was only off/on for 1.5 days) dropped it to 0?
    Oops, missed that you have a SWG. So the FC probably didn;t drop that fast naturally, unless of course the water is too cold and the SWG shut down.

So it's still organics or poor circulation. I know I have a spot where all the leaves settle and I haven't been able to aim the jets to completely eliminate it. That's poor circulation. You may have a dead spot somewhere, too, especially if no one's getting in and mixing it up.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!