Going on vacation for 3 weeks

Catherineb

LifeTime Supporter
May 22, 2013
Hello,
I have a friend who is going to add bleach for me while I am on vacation. The weather in Texas is 66 degrees. If I add bleach to shock level before I leave and I ask my friend to add 2 cups of bleach every 5 days, do you think that will work? I cant ask her to do the testing but she can the bleach for me.

I don't want to add pucks.

Thanks
Cathy

Do you know how much chlorine you lose per day ? If you know how much you lose per day you should be able to figure out how much and when to add bleach. Bringing it to slam level is a good idea. Also if your water temp is down you'll lose less chlorine.

What's your CYA level ? If your CYA level isn't real high a couple of pucks won't hurt.

My CYA is 40. In the summer hot days I lose a lot of chlorine per day but the weather has only just turned cool so I am not sure how much I am losing per day. If I use 3 pucks in the floater and ask my friend to add 2 cups of bleach every 5 days I should be fine. I guess too much chlorine will not be a problem.

Thanks for the advice.

That's not enough bleach. You will consume somewhere around 2 cups daily and the pucks will not be enough to make up the difference.

I would suggest a quart or a bit less every day.

Use PoolMath at the top of the page and assume a daily loss of 1.5 - 2 ppm.

Thanks Dave. I made a BIG mistake in my post. My measuring cup which I have left for my friend is a 24oz large cup. I have asked to add 3 of these which is 64oz each week while I am away. I leave today and I have just added enough to bring the level up to SLAM level plus a couple of pucks. This might not be enough but I will have to keep my fingers crossed as leaving now for the airport. Thanks again.

Something to consider for the next vacation...A week or so before you leave, record your test results and note the daily FC loss. Also keep an eye on the weather forecast for the first week you are out of town. If you will be away longer than a week, consider seasonal averages for weeks 2 and beyond. The combination of this information will give you additional data that will allow you to give the caretaker a more accurate dosing estimate to maintain proper sanitation while avoiding overdosing.

I take it a step further and keep a weekly log of my weekend test results. I now have two years of test data. Whenever I have gone out of town for more than a few days and could find a caretaker, I can give them a very accurate estimate of how much bleach to add on a daily basis based on the seasonal data and expected weather while I'm gone. This process has worked each time as I have come home to a clean pool. When I run my test parameters upon my return, my results are where they should be.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.