Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much cloro, bleach to use.

1. Back To Top    #1

How much cloro, bleach to use.

I am at the 20' latitude in Mexico. In the 90's today. We currently use granulated cloro for our 20k pool . I am currently considering changing to liquid cloro (bleach). We can buy this in Guadalajara (a 4 hour trip) at a very cheap price in a concentrated form.

My question is, How much cloro would be used on a daily basis for a 20k pool. Never mind the if, ands, and maybes. I need a very approximate figure.

Thanking you John L.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How much cloro, bleach to use.

As you are aware, there are many factors. A pool that has 50 ppm cya (or recommended level...but yours may be much higher due to the granular chlorine you have been using...what is it?), and a fair amount of sun might expect to loose about 40% to the sun daily, so if you were aiming for about 5 ppm FC minimum, then you would need to dose your FC up to ~ 9 ppm each day for difference of 4 ppm which would equate to ~ 80 ounces of 12.5% bleach for your 20000 gallon pool daily. Of course high bather load, extreme sun, higher temperatures, large amounts of organic debris all can cause chlorine usage to go up.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Never mind the if, ands, and maybes.
    1 gallon.

That four hour drive is gonna' dampen your savings but I guess you know that.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP John.

Hopefully, you can get bleach closer than that...I hope!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the input. We are able to buy in Guadalajara concentrated bleach (7 times). Cost $10 for 20 liter containers.We are on the coast, Melaque and generally go to Guad. every two months. It is a shopping trip for the resort www.vacationinmexico.com, so we stock up.
    We do have some now so I will try a litre a day and see how it goes.

Thanks, John L.

6. Back To Top    #6

What is the % strength? Concentrated means nothing.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Curious as to how you arrived ar a 1 liter dose?
    Dave S.

8. Back To Top    #8

You suggested one gallon of cloro a day would work for our 20k pool.
    The cloro we are buying is concentrated 7 times. Using 6% as a normal cloro means;
    1 liter x7 equals ----1.8492 gallons of cloro (more or less hopefully)
    Looking at these funny numbers it would mean we are using almost double what you have suggested.
    We are just trying to establish how much we should buy on our next trip to Guadalajara.
    Thanks, John L.

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm not understanding how you're coming up with the numbers.

Are you saying that the bleach you're buying is 7 times more concentrated than 6% bleach?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Are you saying the amount of Sodium Hypochlorite (NAClO) in the liquid chlorine you can get is ~42%? That is very, very high (higher than I have heard of).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by John L
    Looking at these funny numbers it would mean we are using almost double what you have suggested.
    As I mentioned above, there are many factors. If the pool gets a lot of use (since this appears to be a resort pool), then it may use quite a bit more chlorine as well. Post a full set of test numbers and we can comment, FC, CC, ph, TA, CH, cya. Also post how you tested for those numbers.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Are you saying the amount of Sodium Hypochlorite (NAClO) in the liquid chlorine you can get is ~42%? That is very, very high (higher than I have heard of).
    There is no way. To my knowledge it is not made or sold above 15% for the industrial market in the U.S. So I would assume that is for all of North America. If you can't get it stronger for industry, Clorox will certainly not have it. If it were available in higher concentration, my industry would not be settling for 15% bleach in industrial applications.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

13. Back To Top    #13

Okay here's our Cloro story again. My recent shopping trip to Guadalajara included Soaps and Cloro from a distributor. The concentrated Cloro we buy is recommended to be diluted 1 to 7 for household use.
    I am told the actual % is 13. My cost is 80 pesos ($6.16 USD.) per 19 liter container.

We did remeasure the pool to get more than a guesstimate. 16,000 gallons.
    To start we put in one gallon of cloro to get our color up (shock). After the first week we settled to 1/2 to 3/4 of a liter daily. With the big rains we have been putting in 3/4, but it seems 1/2 is sufficient in normal circumstances. Our "el cheapo" but available tester (for the last ten year) is showing we are good. The pool is crystal clear.
    So our pool costs have been LOWERED. One container per month-----$6.16 USD.

Thanks everyone for your inputs, John L.

P.S. I just finished our DIY pool solar hot water system.

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

Our "el cheapo" but available tester (for the last ten year) is showing we are good
    If you are saying your test kit is 10 years old, I would suggest you develop your arm muscles for a month or so and then throw that *#$!*& thing so far you will never be able to find it. That may not be what you are saying but you should clarify.
    Dave S.

15. Back To Top    #15

Good job on taking control and the added benefit is that you lowered your cost to maintain the pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

If you are saying that the bleach is 13% NaClO, then that is a great price on bleach ($0.07/ounce of NaClO)...best I have seen on here

With that said, I doubt it will take only one 19L container per month (I calculate that it would be common to need ~1.4L/day of 13% bleach per day in a typical 16000 gallon pool), especially in your climate, unless the pool gets very small amounts of sun or the pool temp is low . Also, since this is a resort pool, you potentially have a higher bather load that may also increase the demand for bleach.

What is your pool temp right now?
    Did you ever find out the cya level?
    What FC are you maintaining?

17. Back To Top    #17

Just wanna see how this plays out...
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain