Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Closing problem with pool company

1. Back To Top    #1

Closing problem with pool company

So, I decided this year to pay a company to close down my pool for me.

Turns out there was some adapter screwed into my line in the skimmer, and they couldn't get it off, so they winterized what they could and put a plug in it. They claim they'll need to do another service call to finish it, removing the adapter and putting a gizmo in it's place. (see image below)

Do you think this is necessary? I saw some debate around the forum on whether or not the gizmos were necessary.

I just want to make sure I'm not getting taken to the cleaners.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

[attachment=0:2eoajve7]skimmer.jpg[/attachment:2eoajve7]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    24,300 gallons, IG vinyl, Hayward Pro Series S244T sand filter, 3ft to 9ft deep

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Re: Closing problem with pool company

Pretty standard in the industry, if any water gets in the skimmer, the ice can grow inwards, rather then outwards and crack your skimmer

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok, thanks for the response.

Would it be a bad idea for me to go and get the other gizmo I already paid for, try and remove the adapter myself with a strap wrench, and install the gizmo? Is there more to it than that?

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by ChewBiscuit
    So, I decided this year to pay a company to close down my pool for me.

Turns out there was some adapter screwed into my line in the skimmer, and they couldn't get it off, so they winterized what they could and put a plug in it. They claim they'll need to do another service call to finish it, removing the adapter and putting a gizmo in it's place. (see image below)

Do you think this is necessary? I saw some debate around the forum on whether or not the gizmos were necessary.

I just want to make sure I'm not getting taken to the cleaners.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

[attachment=0:sljcwzs6]skimmer.jpg[/attachment:sljcwzs6]
    You don't have to use gizzmos, I just use a gallon container with 1/4 antifreeze in it and drop it in the skimmer box.

The plastic gizzmos will flex when it freezes and so will a plastic jug. I always pour some antifreeze into the skimmer box then put the jug in . Been doing it that way for years.

As long as your line is blown out , skimmer plugged , antifreeze in box with a plastic jug. Your good to go.
    19,000 gal - Vinyl IG - Sand filter -1.5hp. - Taylor k 2006 - Loop Loc cover

5. Back To Top    #5

The tall green thing in the picture is a Gizzmo. Is that what they're calling an adaptor?

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

In the Industry

The adaptor is the black expansion plug in the picture, I assume

7. Back To Top    #7

I think that the adaptor is screwed into the bottom of the skimmer and the rubber plug is in the adaptor. They already have one Gizzmo in the front hole, do they feel that two are necessary? It does get quite cold where you are, so more protection would be better.

As others have noted, you can use a plastic bottle instead of a Gizzmo. Weigh it down with sand, or pool antifreeze (not regular antifreeze).

8. Back To Top    #8

Yeah, the adapter is a hose adapter.
    http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Waterway-H ... MgodNQIAfQ

I might try removing it and fall back on the bottle idea if I can't get it off. I'm hesitant to pay them for a second visit when they couldn't get it done the first time.

Thanks everyone!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quick question, if I do the bottle method, should I just take out that other gizmo?

10. Back To Top    #10

Quick question, if I do the bottle method, should I just take out that other gizmo?
    No, leave it in if it's already there. The jug method and gizzmos do the same thing.

I assume you have two skimmers and they already put a gizzmos in one of them.

11. Back To Top    #11

How does this look?

1/3 full or so RV anti-freeze:
    [attachment=1:116qbf40]bottle_out.jpg[/attachment:116qbf40]

[attachment=2:116qbf40]bottle_in.jpg[/attachment:116qbf40]

Bag of rocks to weigh it down:
    [attachment=0:116qbf40]rocks.jpg[/attachment:116qbf40]
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Back To Top    #12

How does this look?

1/3 full or so RV anti-freeze:
    [attachment=1:fioqewzo]bottle_out.jpg[/attachment:fioqewzo]

[attachment=2:fioqewzo]bottle_in.jpg[/attachment:fioqewzo]

Bag of rocks to weigh it down:
    [attachment=0:fioqewzo]rocks.jpg[/attachment:fioqewzo]
    Your an expert now. You can also put pea gravel in the plastic jug along with the antifreeze, then no need for the bag of rocks.

Plus, just save it and use in next winter.

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks, this community rules!

14. Back To Top    #14

There are lots of ways to skin that cat. I never saw the point of a gizmo. A real plug and two Polyquat bottles works for me since 2005. I put one brick between the 'shoulders' of the bottles and another on top of that crosswise. Those Polyquat bottles have heavier plastic than the Gizmos, which seem kind of cheap plastic for repeated freeze/thaw cycles and certainly don't seal as well as a real plug. I don't trust them. To keep rain out, I put a wine cork in the finger hole, and an inverted 25lb. chem bucket over the cover with a few more bricks. Works for me.

For maybe 30 years, I used a bunch of old tennis balls with a big rock on top, but I stopped playing tennis.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Durk
    There are lots of ways to skin that cat. I never saw the point of a gizmo. A real plug and two Polyquat bottles works for me since 2005. I put one brick between the 'shoulders' of the bottles and another on top of that crosswise. Those Polyquat bottles have heavier plastic than the Gizmos, which seem kind of cheap plastic for repeated freeze/thaw cycles and certainly don't seal as well as a real plug. I don't trust them. To keep rain out, I put a wine cork in the finger hole, and an inverted 25lb. chem bucket over the cover with a few more bricks. Works for me.

For maybe 30 years, I used a bunch of old tennis balls with a big rock on top, but I stopped playing tennis.
    Thanks for the idea of using a cork!! Going out to do that now on mine...