Hi from Atlanta GA! Bought a Foreclosure /w pool questions

Re: Hi from Atlanta GA! Bought a Foreclosure /w pool questi

Update, I spoke to the listing agent, the bank did not purchase the new pool liner but it was done by the previous owner..its only been on the market for a few months.

The LA said it was ok to fill the pool up, I will do that this weekend and try to start up the stuff... I took some pictures of the Equipment if anyone could comment that would be wonderful!

Size is 18x36, I didnt get the depth yet.

I havent yet purchased the test kit, I'm just waiting on some paperwork to get finalized. I contacted a local place and they are charging 150 for a pool inspection. I plan on filling the pool on sunday, then have it inspected monday/tuesday.

Any advice is appreciated greatly!

I was sorta in your shoes 6 years ago when I bought a home with a diving pool that had actual algae in the bottom. I scooped as much as possible out, and added 4 gallons of chlorine from a pool vender, along with a gallon of muriatic acid, and turned the pump on. I called my local mom & pop pool place, and for $40.00, they sent a person to go over every valve and pvc connection on my pool. He explained where the pressure gauges should be, when to backwash, how to use my test kit, and how to clear up my pool, then how much clarifier to use, and when. It was the best $40.00 investment I made as a newby.

Looks like you have a nice small pump that should be good (may consider upgrade to a 2-speed when it fails).
The booster pump must be for a pressure side cleaner ... if that was not left, then you will not need to run that pump until you replace it. Or never use it and get a robot or suction side cleaner.
You will not want to use that chlorine feeder, better to use bleach generally.

Only issue I see is that sand filter looks to be on the small side. That would be good for a pool up to about 14k gallons, but I am guessing you are closer to around 23k gallons, where we would recommend at least a 4.3 sqft (28" diameter) sand filter.

@mtw4shore ... a good idea to have someone in person show you how to work the equipment, but I would disagree with going to them to learn how to clear the pool. For example, we rarely ever would recommend the use of clarifier.

You're already in far better shape swamp-wise than I was ;) And you have a brand new liner...so I suspect you'll be golden. My guess is once your equipment is up and running you'll nail that level of green pretty quickly with a dedicated slamming process. I don't see that you have much debris, comparatively speaking. (Mine was BLACK. It had been neglected for 2 years, because that was how long the foreclosure process took for some reason before it got to market, and someone had left the cover off until it was listed, if you can imagine.)

Your setup looks very similar to mine in terms of equipment make/model/approximate size, so if you have any specific questions, please ask. Mine equipment runs like a champ. It is 12 years old. It has not needed a thing.

If you're going to go the BBB route (using liquid chlorine/bleach) in order to avoid building up CYA levels (which are caused by using Tri-Chlor pucks) you won't be using that Chlorine feeder unless you go on vaca or need to increase CYA a little ;)

Don't believe the sign that says that pump is "self-priming" ;) IME you will want to add water when you clean out the pump basket to prime it. Ask the inspectors to show you how, where to turn off the valves to keep the water in the plumbing, etc. Always make sure the seal is clean when you tighten down the pump basket lid after a restart of the pump too.

Given that you have a diving board, I'm betting that you have an 8.5 foot diving well. I agree that I'd guess you have about 23k gallons, which is what mine is roughly. I do have the same multiport valve on the sand filter, and I think even the same size of filter (will check tonight.)

While Jbizzle may be correct that it might be under, in our case I know the original PB included the standard package for that size of pool, and I know that ours easily handles our water (though I do run longer because I use the heater to keep a consistently higher temp and the filter needs to be running to have the heater operating). I also know that our sand filter was more than adequate to clear a completely black swamp that we slammed (hard) over a reasonable amount of time -- so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Congrats on your new home. You will SOOOOO enjoy that pool ;)

That sand filter will work fine, it will just require backwashing more often than would be required with a larger filter. Now if you had a larger pump for a spa or something running through the filter, then the higher desired flow rates would be another reason to consider a larger filter (but this is not true in this case).

@mtw4shore: I definately will look into that, though I'm still wondering what the $150 inspection should include...we'll see next week when I have them out. For the time being, sunday, im going to fill the pool up to the halfway mark of the skimmer

@jblizzle: Tyvm for your comments, though, I'm not sure what you mean by pressure side cleaner. Is that something that would be in lieu of a robot?

When you say bleach, are you referring to the cheap walmart type of bleach that I get for clothing? I dont have any idea how many gallons i'd need to clean/slam/shock the pool.

This may have already been answered, but like I said, im kind of overwhelmed and trying to not be thick lol

@Swampwoman: THANK YOU for your comments, it makes me feel alot more at ease knowing im not in an odd pickle as one might say. Our fear was that the pool would become a massive money pit. I am still learning, but i'm concerned regarding next year. I have done more research and pretty much hit up every person I know that owns a pool, many of which have converted their pools to saltwater. I am heavily considering it now.

What do you mean by BBB? What is PB?

This is the SWG I was recommended:

http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Hayward- ... UA-RITE-25

But this isnt that much more expensive and can detect PH levels from what I read:

https://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Hayward ... PRO-25.htm

What do you guys think? He has had his system for the 3 years or so and loves it. I had initial concerns of rust due to the salt, but he assures me to just take a hose and rinse down the metal bitz around the pool.

What do you think about converting to SW with the components I have? (the sand filter, etc)

For my size pool, the current specs on my S220T sand filter says it would turn over in 24,960G/8hrs and 31,200/10hrs. Isnt that what I should be looking for?

Are there any components that you would recommend that I look towards changing (essentially i'm asking for a list of priorities you would recommend) and what model/brand would you suggest?

As always, I want to take a moment and thank you all for the great advice and input. I look forward to hearing from you all.

Cheers
Brian

Hi again.
BBB means literally "bleach, borax and baking soda" which are the principal components of actually manipulating pool chemistry -- but philosophically it means (and is what we subscribe to here) literally learning to test and dose your pool yourself, and avoid unintended consequences that come with using *some* commercial formulations -- although there is not a hard and fast rule AGAINST commercial formulations.

Before going much further down this path, please read through Pool School to understand.

By way of shortcut example:
A traditional pool-store advised owner of your set up would be told to use TriChlor pucks put in that Hayward chlorinator and to use "test strips" and to buy certain products to treat possible problems. TriChlor is on the surface just as cheap at the end of the day as liquid chlorine. But it is "stabilized." That means each tablet ADDS something called CYA to your pool water. Once the CYA level reaches near 100, the pool actually isn't as properly "sanitized" because the chlorine level, to be effective, needs to be considerably higher, but won't be. CYA never evaporates or leaves pool water under normal circumstances. So people who use this approach often end up fighting algae repeatedly because the actual free chlorine isn't high enough to combat it. That's where the "unintended consequences" get really expensive...using tonnes of product trying to clear, but only making matters worse and then having to drain to reduce CYA level.

The BBB method instead aims to CONTROL the CYA level CONSTANTLY -- around 40-ish for normal or 70-ish for Saltwater -- and to MAINTAIN the chlorine level in proportion (shown in CYA-Chlorine level chart in pool school) via daily dosing with bleach (eg. store bought) or liquid chlorine (available at pool stores) -- only difference is concentration and cost. (If using Saltwater generator, instead you're using that to "generate" the chlorine via reaction, so it's more convenient, although you may find that ph rises faster and requires more dosing with Muriatic Acid to control.)

Liquid chlorine is the only thing that does NOT add CYA (except a powdered calcium-combo that instead adds too much calcium over time) which is why we use it (or a SWG.)

The result is a "trouble free pool" because ACCURATE testing and staying within the CYA/FC guidelines will mean that you never develop aglae or have unsanitized water, and ACCURATE frequent testing combined with the knowledge of proper water balance using items easy to source and stock means you typically avoid getting "poolstored" ;)

Here, the term "poolstored" means being convinced due to ignorance to purchase an unnecessary and costly abundance of proprietary products on guidance of those educated by the industry that profits from same ;)

Don't get me wrong -- I now buy all my liquid chlorine from the pool store as it is more compact and convenient for me, even though it is more expensive. So it's not like we outlaw pool stores -- just their uninformed chemistry advice and testing inaccuracy.

I also buy things like Polyquat 60 (an algaecide wihtout the damaging copper) or Jack's Magic metal sequestrant there too. But the difference between me and the next guy in line is that my pool water is sparkling and beautiful and never cloudy and I never put anything in that I don't first understand and calculate, so I spend less and dose more accurately and am not mislead by well-meaning misinformation ;)

While this sounds like a lot to the uninitiated, what it actually amounts to is a small investment in research time in the beginning, followed by a MAX of about 3-5 minutes a day to care for your pool (quick test of ph and FC and dose to levels calculated by the pool calculator to fit within your CYA/FC ratio. Since you're not ADDING products with CYA, it's never a moving target and you can get it down to a minute a day once you know from experience how your pool typically behaves ;)

So to my mind, BBB = Informed water balancer not susceptible to snake oil ;)

Gotcha, ok, so off to get a test kit ASAP, but in the meantime, I need to fill up the pool so the inspectors can take a gander. For 24k pool, its quasi bright green color, what guesstimate of liquid chlorine would you suggest, im thinking on going to walmart to pick up a few gallons/(cases?) to get it to a point where its clear for the inspectors can see the floor.

They seem to be straight shooters and have given me alot of advice that echos some of the things I've read here already so it doubly confirms what I think i know and your commanding knowledge of pool chemistry just makes me feel that much better!

I have read pool school twice now, its still sinking in (no pun intended), I understand FC much better, I suspect once I start testing water, it will make alot more sense. I use baking soda in my freshwater 55gal tank to keep the PH up so that part I understand. Pools are just so much more complex, yet seems to be somewhat simple as you say given some time and research.

btw, PB means poolstored? Just been scratching my head as to what the "b" stood for heh.

PB=pool builder

Baking soda raises the TA ... NOT the pH. You use borax or soda ash to raise the pH if needed (in the pool).

Do not expect the water to clear up in a matter of hours ... it could take days to weeks for the water to clear up.

Once you know the CYA, then you will know what FC level you need to target to SLAM the pool using the FC/CYA Chart.
Then use PoolMath to determine how much bleach (plain old regular bleach) is required for each chlorine dose. For an idea, in a 24k pool, one 121oz bottle of 8.25% bleach will add 3.3ppm of FC. So to initially reach SLAM level, it will take somewhere between 3 and 12 bottles of bleach ... depending on your CYA.
But, if the CYA it very high, then you will want to drain and replace water to get it to a reasonable level before SLAMing.

I would not suggest adding a SWG until after you have the pool under control manually and then decide if you want the convenience of not having to add bleach every day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

WHOA...I clicked on your Pool school link and it had ALOT more info there in contrast to the button up top. I guess I never click on FULL table of contents XD

So begins my reading expedition. Sorry for all the dumb questions, esp the BBB one, there is a link with that explained very well.

So this foreclosure is getting better and better....just got approval from the bank that they are going to not only winterize but will also CLEAN my green pool!!!! Apparently they are contracting a third party to get it squared away after my inspection. They have given me written authorization to fill the pool using my hose tomorrow, have my inspection on Monday or Tuesday then they will perform the cleaning and winterization.

I feel incredibly fortunate!

Depends on how they plan to clear it. Unfortunately the methods often used by pool companies can lead to damage (like fading your new liner). The SLAM process we recommend is safe, but takes more time and effort than pool companies will provide.

If it were me, I would prefer they didn't put in algaecide that contained metals, or use calcium hypochlorite until I was certain what my pool and fill water CH levels were. Early in the day yet for me, I suppose there may be others with things to weigh in on.

Ok will request they find out the cya and use liquid chlorine and some muriatic acid. I'll see if the bank will just allow me to do it and they just pay me what they were approved to pay the pool company.

I'm going to hold off getting the SWG until the pool is stable, winterized....and next year comes around lol. Right now I'm debating to get the test kit with the salt water tests in preparation for next year.

Thoughts?

Also, today I filled my pool. It actually doesn't look as bad as it looked initially. But the waster going into the skimmer box just sits there....I don't see it sucking in the water or whatnot.

I'm going to call the pool company to do the inspection and show me how to properly use the equipment.

However I yield to the knowledge of this gang first and foremost

Cheers
Brian

Just got back from the pool inspection. Pool is in much better shape then I thought. The pump will need to be replaced as it is loud and a few other minor things (skimmer basket was missing for example).

While I was onsite the listing agent's pool company came by and dumped some granular dichlor as some blue stuff (to make the water blue...he said) as well as some algecide (he didnt say what it was)...

So the system is running now, i'll check tomorrow else if not thursday and post up a pic.

I asked if they could use liquid chlorine but the listing agent essentially said "your not the owner...." in so many words, I backed down and we'll see how it pans out.

I also found out that the company that is doing the cleaning did in fact install a brand new liner 2 months ago 8/7/13!! Though the warranty wont transfer to me, it should be good for at least 8-10 years they say.

I am still in shock, I cant believe the bank is covering so much of the costs....esp the pool side

So, they added dichlor (possibly raising CYA too high), and algaecide (possibly adding copper to the water), and some blue stuff ... what the heck is that????

I hope you get to take over soon. Don't be surprised if your water in no where near in balance to what we recommend.

If you would have already ordered the test kit, you could have grabbed some of the water and tested it right there.

I hope so too. Right now we're looking to close mid november. By then the pool will be closed (and winterized). Once I get the test kit i'll check it again, but looking at this now I dont know what else I could do since i dont own it yet :(

Once I get the testkit, i'll post up some info here. How long should I wait to grab some of the water (its being treated atm) and take to a pool store for testing?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support