got it working, need help with balance

Jun 15, 2013
Palos Heights, IL
ok, I got my hot tub working after having circuit board issues. Now trying to get it balanced. By no means have I figured out the calculator, so admit am confused. Here are my readings and what the calculator says.
FC= 5ppm
TA=70
CH=270
CYA=90
calculator says to add .3 oz or Muriatic acid and 2.8(weight) or 2.3(volume) baking soda, where I am confused is the target goal, it seems I'm good on that. Should I still add anything? I'm also not 100% on how many gallons it is, I entered it at 400 gallons, it maybe less, can't find a capacity tag on it..Thanks

How are you testing (what kit are you using)?

Your cya is very high, high enough that you may want to consider draining and refilling with fresh water. Did you follow the "dichlor than bleach" procedure?: http://www.troublefreepool.com/how-do-i-use-chlorine-in-my-spa-or-pool-t10095.html

What is your current ph?

I would not raise you TA much since hot tubs tend to drift up in ph due to the aeration and raising the TA will only exasperate that.

Anything I could have done to cause high CYA?? Just hit it with dichlor yesterday, and not doing the dichlor bleach thing ...yet... doing bbb for the pool and it was my best year with a pool to date, only algaed up once and that was couple days ago, treated today and already looking clear...gotta get that thing winterized next couple days but keeping hot tub open for winter

Did you fill it with pool water?

Cya only comes from three sources: trichlor (usually pucks, sometimes granules), dichlor (usually granules), and cya (aka stabilizer/conditioner...usually granules, though you can by a liquid version that is more expensive also).

14 ounces by weight (or 15 ounces by volume ~26 tablespoons) of dichlor would raise a 600 gallon tub to ~90 ppm cya...but your FC would also be 97 if you added it all at once. Do you think you added that much?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.