Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: got it working, need help with balance

1. Back To Top    #1

got it working, need help with balance

ok, I got my hot tub working after having circuit board issues. Now trying to get it balanced. By no means have I figured out the calculator, so admit am confused. Here are my readings and what the calculator says.
    FC= 5ppm
    TA=70
    CH=270
    CYA=90
    calculator says to add .3 oz or Muriatic acid and 2.8(weight) or 2.3(volume) baking soda, where I am confused is the target goal, it seems I'm good on that. Should I still add anything? I'm also not 100% on how many gallons it is, I entered it at 400 gallons, it maybe less, can't find a capacity tag on it..Thanks
    24' abg approx 48" deep. Sand filter(unknown brand) possibly hayward pump..details to be corrected later..Sunsetter hot tub approx 7'x7'x40"

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: got it working, need help with balance

How are you testing (what kit are you using)?

Your cya is very high, high enough that you may want to consider draining and refilling with fresh water. Did you follow the "dichlor than bleach" procedure?: http://www.troublefreepool.com/how-d...ol-t10095.html

What is your current ph?

I would not raise you TA much since hot tubs tend to drift up in ph due to the aeration and raising the TA will only exasperate that.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Knew I left something off, PH7.8, using the tf 100 test kit
    24' abg approx 48" deep. Sand filter(unknown brand) possibly hayward pump..details to be corrected later..Sunsetter hot tub approx 7'x7'x40"

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by kevin134
    Knew I left something off, PH7.8, using the tf 100 test kit
    Great!

With your high cya, I still think I would do a drain refill...otherwise you probably want to maintain a FC level of 5-6 ppm between soaks.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Anything I could have done to cause high CYA?? Just hit it with dichlor yesterday, and not doing the dichlor bleach thing ...yet... doing bbb for the pool and it was my best year with a pool to date, only algaed up once and that was couple days ago, treated today and already looking clear...gotta get that thing winterized next couple days but keeping hot tub open for winter

6. Back To Top    #6

Did you fill it with pool water?

Cya only comes from three sources: trichlor (usually pucks, sometimes granules), dichlor (usually granules), and cya (aka stabilizer/conditioner...usually granules, though you can by a liquid version that is more expensive also).

7. Back To Top    #7

Filled from garden hose, not from pool. Thinking went to heavy with dichlor, and am using a non chlorine shock..

8. Back To Top    #8

14 ounces by weight (or 15 ounces by volume ~26 tablespoons) of dichlor would raise a 600 gallon tub to ~90 ppm cya...but your FC would also be 97 if you added it all at once. Do you think you added that much?

9. Back To Top    #9

Nope, maybe need to retest in morning.. thinking now may have messed up test based on that