Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Hayward still in business?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is Hayward still in business?

I need to replace a blown skimmer basket, it's a Hayward SP1082C4 but I cannot find anything remotely similar on line. The pool is about 8 or 9 years old, these are probably the original baskets that are 7" across the top, 5 1/2" tall and 5" on the bottom. I google the Hayward part number but get no hits. I tried to contact Hayward directly but keep getting an error for their website. Has Hayward jumped the shark, or changed their name?
    32000 gal IG yinyl L shape
    Hayward cartridge C900
    1.5 HP Marathon pump-variable
    2004 est. installation
    SWG, AquaRite generator-Cell-14 Ultra

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is Hayward still in business?

Welcome to TFP!

Indeed they are, but they are difficult to reach. Check for Suppliers local to you when the website works. They might help with the PN.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

I think this is what you are looking for: http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SPX1082CA ... B001ELW98K

Quote Originally Posted by Donna1935
    I need to replace a blown skimmer basket, it's a Hayward SP1082C4 but I cannot find anything remotely similar on line. The pool is about 8 or 9 years old, these are probably the original baskets that are 7" across the top, 5 1/2" tall and 5" on the bottom. I google the Hayward part number but get no hits. I tried to contact Hayward directly but keep getting an error for their website. Has Hayward jumped the shark, or changed their name?

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the info. That basket at Amazon looks like the same dimension on both top and bottom, mine is 2 inches smaller at the bottom so not sure it will fit my skimmer. Someone also asked about the Amazon basket for the size and got 7" top, 6 1/2 bottom and 5" deep. I don't know how exact the dimensions must be for the basket to work efficiently, but this one doesn't seem right.
    Hayward cartridge C900
    2004 est. installation

5. Back To Top    #5

Pictures can be deceiving, to me it looks like the bottom is smaller than the top. But if the part# is correct, it should be right one.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

I ordered that one. Thank you again for the help.
    Hayward cartridge C900
    2004 est. installation

7. Back To Top    #7

Basket came today, one day after pool guy closed it for the season, but we opened one skimmer and it looks like it will work. Now I have to decide whether to change to a sand filter...ugh.
    Hayward cartridge C900
    2004 est. installation

8. Back To Top    #8

Now I have to decide whether to change to a sand filter...ugh.
    Why are you considering changing? What filter type do you have now and what model?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

It's an 32000 gal. L shape, vinyl liner IG pool with a Hayward 1 1/2 hp pump, c900 filter with a star clear plus filter cartridge that I'm told is way too small for the pool. It's salt water with an aquarite generator. Pool guy says to swap out for sand filter. From what I've read, I think he's right. I think the pvc pipes are 1 1/2". We have well water so metal is an issue, too. A huge issue. We have all winter to contemplate this, we've just thrown money at this pool all summer and never got it right.
    Hayward cartridge C900
    2004 est. installation

10. Back To Top    #10

c900 filter with a star clear plus filter cartridge that I'm told is way too small for the pool.
    oops...it was me who had mentioned that too you here .

Yes, it would be a good idea to look at a new filter at some point maybe after you get up and running next season. Although I personally like sand filters, there is nothing wrong with big cartridge filters (or for that matter big DE filters) either.

we've just thrown money at this pool all summer and never got it right.
    Next season if you start with our tfpc methods, we will get you up and running and your water will be crystal clear with minimal effort
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

11. Back To Top    #11

I tried to contact Hayward directly but keep getting an error for their website.
    If you wish to contact Hayward directly regarding questions about your Hayward products, choose from the 3 options below.

Contact us by phone: (908) 355-7995 (U.S.) Mon-Fri, 8 AM 5 PM

Contact us by letter:
    Hayward Pool Products
    Attn: Technical Services
    One Hayward Industrial Drive
    Clemmons, NC 27102
    http://www.hayward-pool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... -ContactUs

Contact us online, click here to continue.

https://www.haywardnet.com/forms/contactForm.cfm

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks for that info. It may come in handy in the future. Hopefully, we will have a better pool season next year. Our pool guy suggested making the pool smaller, thus easier to manage, but I think starting out with a sand filter might be an alternative that is less radical. Or moving.
    Hayward cartridge C900
    2004 est. installation

13. Back To Top    #13

Not sure if all the recommended filter sizes were ever given to you. For a 32k gallon pool, our minimum filter size recommendations would be:
    474 sqft cartridge
    5.9 sqft sand (33" diameter)
    89 sqft DE

Those are all very large for the residential market as your pool is pretty big. You could get by with something a little smaller that would just require more frequent cleaning ... especially if you have a short season that the pool is open. But, clearly your current filter is WAY too small.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks very much for that filter info. I'm making a note and will compare it to what pool guy recommends. I'd love to find a cheaper way to keep the pool clear without buying stuff with his markup but also don't want to lose rapport as he's the only pool maintenence place for miles.
    Hayward cartridge C900
    2004 est. installation

15. Back To Top    #15

In the normal Hayward line these are the bigger filters they have:
    4.9 sqft (31"), 7 sqft (36") sand
    425, 525, 725 sqft cartridges
    72 sqft DE

I would think the 31" sand, or 425 sqft cart, 72 sqft DE would be reasonable, but I would not go smaller than that ... depending on your location and amount of debris.

Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    In the normal Hayward line these are the bigger filters they have:
    4.9 sqft (31"), 7 sqft (36") sand
    425, 525, 725 sqft cartridges
    72 sqft DE
    Hayward also offers a 7.06 sq. ft. (top mount valve) filter, S360T2 and a 6.5 sq. ft. (side mount vavle) filter, S360SX. However if you do go with a sand filter this large, we should look at your pump a little closer to make sure it can provide the flowrate needed to backflush them properly (including the 4.9 sq. ft. filter jbliz mentioned).

17. Back To Top    #17

Yeah, I kind of lumped the three big 36" sand filter options together under the 7 sqft option ... likely overkill in this case.
    Good point about making sure the pump is not too small to properly backwash ... although I would think a 1.5 HP should be able to handle it
    Jason, TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Yeah, I kind of lumped the three big 36" sand filter options together under the 7 sqft option ... likely overkill in this case.
    I missed that you wrote "bigger" and read "biggest"

19. Back To Top    #19

Location: western NC, debris: lots of trees, bugs, and other stuff.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hayward cartridge C900
    2004 est. installation

20. Back To Top    #20

Wow, great looking pool!

I can see that you would get a lot of debris. Again, any one of the three filter types will work for you, but imo sand would be a good choice. Can you post a model number for the pump and/or maybe a picture of it with close-ups of any labels?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast