Jul 31, 2013
NW Louisiana
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Do I have to lower the water to remove the eyeballs or the sleeves? Also, they should be pointing down and across the pool? Reason for asking is because my liner was just replaced and I'm not sure they were reinstalled in the correct direction.

Thanks

If your eyeballs are standard, they should loosen (perhaps with a strap wrench) and then can be adjusted to provide a circular flow in your pool, adjusted slightly downward is normal but can be placed as you like.

I prefer mine just slightly upward to get a few ripples on the pool surface.

The problem is when I try to loosen this paticular return, the entire sleeve is turning. A strap will not help as I cannot stop the double threaded sleeve from turning when I try to loosen the eyeball.

That's why I was asking if I can remove it without lowering the water.

That's information helpful to know. I would remove both fittings and then seperate them.

The outer fittings can then be placed back into the pipe and then can be tightened with a slotted "key" made for that purpose.

You should then be able to insert the eyeball into that outer fitting and adjust it accordingly.

All this can be done with the water at normal level.

You'll have to Google around to find that key but I seem to remember seeing it on this forum.

That's what I was looking to know. One last question: what purpose does the Teflon serve on the threads? I assume it doesn't seal out any water and only make the threads "hold on" to the other pipe?

Thanks again and sorry I went about this the long way ( was trying to avoid a mini novel).

Mine don't have teflon. My thinking is a leak at either one of those fittings is pretty harmless. Teflon would not hurt maybe even helping hold the outer one in place but I have not used it. I think tightening them down will be adequate.

Some of the pros who have done this much more than I may have some better insight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.