Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: VSP RPM and Run times?

1. Back To Top    #1

VSP RPM and Run times?

Hi - I have looked through pool school and this forum and cannot find guidelines for run times or recommended RPM's for various modes (filter, cleaning, spa). I have read that every situation is different, but I thought there is probably a "baseline" to start with. Apologies in advance if this has been answered already. Thanks!
    12k gal IGP/Spa, gunite, Jandy 2HP ePump VSP, Jandy CL 460 Cartridge Filter, LXI400 Heater, PebbleSheen, Polaris 280, stenner 45MPHP10 auto chorine feeder

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: VSP RPM and Run times?

So you saw the article in Pool School about how to determine run time?

You can go down to around 1000 rpm for filtering as that is near the most efficient of the pump. If that does not skim well enough you can increase it. For the spa, you adjust to have the jets like you want them.

It is all mostly experimental.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, yes I did read the pump run time article.

What I am having trouble with is what "low speed" vs. "high speed" would be - your suggestion of 1000 RPM is helpful.

I was also concerned with questions such as: whether it's a problem to run near the max (3450 RPM) in spa mode and whether the speed should differ when running the cleaner (which has a booster pump), for example.
    12k gal IGP/Spa, gunite, Jandy 2HP ePump VSP, Jandy CL 460 Cartridge Filter, LXI400 Heater, PebbleSheen, Polaris 280, stenner 45MPHP10 auto chorine feeder

4. Back To Top    #4

That 1000 rpm is most efficient for Intelliflo pumps, not sure about the Jandy. The cleaner with booster pump can run at the same low rpm.

There really should not be a problem running at near max rpm if the plumbing for the spa was done correctly and if the filter is large enough.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!