Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: VSP Plumbing Question

1. Back To Top    #1

VSP Plumbing Question

I am considering the purchase of a Pentair 11018 Variable Speed Pump.

I currently have a StaRite PR2A5F-182L with a PXC 95 Filter.

In reading the installation instructions for the Pentair 11018, they recommend a straight distance of 10 inches from the suction input to the first elbow.

With my current configuration, I am unable to get that distance without changing the pump orientation, which would mean adding another elbow. Adding the elbow, I believe, would restrict water flow more.

I wonder how critical that 10 inch distance is.

Attached is a photo of my current plumbing configuration.

Any comments would be appreciated.

------------------------------------------------------------------
    8500 gal gunnite pool, built in 2005. Sta-Rite PXC95 Filter, Intelliflo VSP 11018, Heliocol 350 sq. ft. Solar with Goldline GL-235 controller, Heatwave H120 Heat Pump, SwimPure T-3 SWCG.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: VSP Plumbing Question

I don't think it is all that critical for residential pool pumps. I believe that requirement originated from the water/oil distribution industry (API 686) where the suction pipe is connected directly into the impeller inlet. In this situation, turbulence in the suction pipe can make the pump more prone to cavitation and larger pumps cavitate more easily than smaller pumps. However, for a residential pool pump, the pump basket sits between the suction pipe and impeller inlet so any turbulence in the suction line is muted by the pump basket so by the time it reaches the inlet, it has smoothed out some. Plus residential pool pumps are not as prone to cavitation as larger pumps. But the largest body of evidence is that most installers seem to ignore those specifications without much impact.

As with many things in the pool industry, specifications like these are often passed along without considering if they even apply.

Having said that, just make sure it doesn't void your warranty. I have heard some manufactures will use that as an excuse to not pay warranty claims. That is way more important than any performance issues.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

I would be interested in seeing a pic after your install. Thanks
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

4. Back To Top    #4

I guess the warranty issue is moot, since Pentair's new policy, effective 10/13, is that all DIY installs are only warranted for 60 days.

Thanks for the advice.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    8500 gal gunnite pool, built in 2005. Sta-Rite PXC95 Filter, Intelliflo VSP 11018, Heliocol 350 sq. ft. Solar with Goldline GL-235 controller, Heatwave H120 Heat Pump, SwimPure T-3 SWCG.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by paulv4
    I guess the warranty issue is moot, since Pentair's new policy, effective 10/13, is that all DIY installs are only warranted for 60 days.

Thanks for the advice.
    Glad I installed my brothers VS pump in August... whew!!!
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir