Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Green Pool.....Huh?

1. Back To Top    #1

Green Pool.....Huh?

Okay guys here's the issue; 12 inches of rain in 12 hours, a third acre of green grass run-off rolled into my pool for several hours... Pool specifics; 19 thousand, in-ground pebble tech plaster, pentair 520 cartridge filter system... When I got home the pool was dark and muddy... To preface this; this happened about 3 months ago, but to a lesser degree. Pool was still dark and muddy. I ran the pump for 48 hours straight and the pool became crystal clear... Now to get back to my question, with the dark and murky water, I've been running the pump for 5 days. The water chemistry is perfect, the pool sides and bottom scrubbed and vacuumed, and a water analysis taken to the local pool store and found to be optimum. However the pool has a tint of green to it. My question is; is it possible that the grass run-off has died my water a shade of green?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Green Pool.....Huh?

Welcome to TFP!

Pool stores know so little about water chemistry they are a waste of money even for the free testing. Dollars to donuts your chlorine is too low for the CYA level you have, but no way to tell without actual test results.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to the forum Pilot!

Your green is most likely algae and not grass. You will find we put little faith in Pool Store numbers here. When you say "perfect" we still want to see specifics. Can you post a list of the results they gave you? We encourage knowledge and controlling your own pool by testing and understanding some basic pool chemistry. If this is something you are interested in doing, we love to help.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome! You should look into one of the test kits recommended in pool school.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

The green has NOT subsided at all... It's been over a week: Here are the numbers (as have been for the last 5 days or so:
    Free Chlorine - 3 ppm
    Total Chlorine - 3 ppm
    Calcium Hardness - 260 ppm
    CYA - 72 PPM
    Total Alkalinity - 90
    Ph - 7.6
    Copper - 0
    Iron - 0
    Total dissolved solids - 0
    Phosphates - 90 PPB

As a family that has been around pools for many decades, I am amiss to what has happened - My pool is a very pretty "bright green" and smells odorless and is crystal clear - Minus the pretty tint of bright green!! HELP!!!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

If your pool is a clear green and not a murky green, the most common cause of that is iron precipitation.

When you were cleaning it, did you give it a pretty big dose of chlorine? Often that is the trigger.

I see your pool does not test positive for iron but we have learned that iron can still be in precipitate form in your pool regardless of the test.

The solution for that situation is time. Keep your FC around 4-5 ppm and run the filter 24/7 The iron should slowly either get filtered out in your filter or re-dissolve back into solution.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Okay, this sounds like the best answer... I keep you apprised of the situation...Thank you!

8. Back To Top    #8

If it is truly iron and isn't going away, then a metal sequestrant may help, but it would be better to try and remove it completely. However, I'm not convinced this green is actually iron (that's usually more yellow, but might look green against a blue pool surface). If you lowered the pH and the color lightened up, then that would be an indicator of it being a metal.

Also, your FC is too low for your CYA level, but since it's from pool store numbers who knows what is really going on. You really need to get your own proper test kit, otherwise you are shooting in the dark.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

9. Back To Top    #9

So, if it is not Iron... Could it be dye? If it is not dye, What could it be? I took a two gallon sample and super duper chlorinated it to see if it was algae.. approx (150 PPM) The color did not change..Hmm... It's not algae I presume.

10. Back To Top    #10

What color is your pebble-tech plaster? If it's blue, then yellow iron + a blue background would look green.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Why do you suggest dye? What would be the source? I'm pretty sure you have iron precipitate.
    When you were cleaning it, did you give it a pretty big dose of chlorine? Often that is the trigger.
    Did you add chlorine?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

By any chance do you use any fertilizers or other chemicals in your yard?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    By any chance do you use any fertilizers or other chemicals in your yard?
    That was my thought, too. Lots of lawn fertilizers have iron compounds, and a lot of runoff will bring it with it.

On the other hand, I don't trust pool store testing; 72 CYA is a little too precise if you ask me. But if it's even close, then FC is too low.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!