Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do I really need a "custom" mesh cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Do I really need a "custom" mesh cover

Ok, so I have ONE last item from my original pool budget. A safety mesh cover, I had a $2,500 budget (installed) from the original quote.

Now it is time for the cover, and of course I am a ton smarter thanks to this forum.

My pool is standard rectangle in size...

I wanted a "good" mesh cover to mostly block the sun and of course not have to worry about draining, etc. My wife also wanted the blue color just to for fun.

I asked him just to get a "stock" loop loc or ultra loop loc and he is saying that is not the way to go, but he is pushing me toward a Custom Rayner Mighty Mesh ?? As they are MUCH better and not much more in price.

http://www.raynercovering.com/pool-c...sh-pool-covers

Claims it will be within budget, so why am I all wound up...I think he is just needlessly burning my money. Any opinions or ideas why he thinks I might need this custom cover ?
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do I really need a "custom" mesh cover

Any opinions or ideas why he thinks I might need this custom cover?
    His profit margin is better on this cover!

Since it's a standard rectangle, I can't see whay you'd need a custom cover.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah, what Bama said.

if he is a dealer for that particular brand of cover and not another, then his wholesale price is much better, which means more money in his pocket.

Btw, your pool doesn't a 'custom' cover if it is standard size rectangle.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok, what I figured.

So I talked with him again, and now the story is well, you wanted (my wife) a blue mesh cover with "nearly" 100% UV light blockage...and the Rayner is really the only one that fits that bill. And I guess they don't do "stock" covers.

With that in mind, if anyone else knows of a BLUE MESH 100% UV blocking cover - please speak up
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Standard size covers come in 16x32 or 16x34. Do you have anything that might get in the way that needs to be worked around? (Diving board stand, waterfall, steps...etc?) Do you have plenty of room on all 4 sides to mount a standard cover (3 ft on all sides)?....but you would have to get a slightly longer cover....due to your size not being available....so you would need more decking on both ends.
    24' round above ground, 13500 gallons, vinyl liner, 18" Sand Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Nope nothing...

Lots of decking on both sides and 4 ft on the left and right (8' plus on front and back)

7. Back To Top    #7

Sounds like you can use a "stock" cover and save money and the 6 week wait to get loop-loc to make you one. I had mine installed last month. My installer recommended the solid with mesh vents over the all mesh. Keeps more light out and still drains without needing a pump. Here's mine:

45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

8. Back To Top    #8

My PB is really not giving me the option now....meaning he says since it was on the original contract, I need to purchase what he thinks is best and I will still be within budget.

OMG - If I ever build a pool again the PB will hate me!