1sp, 2sp or VS

Sep 12, 2013
Simi Valley, CA
Hi,

I'm in the process of building a pool and need to make a choice re: the main pump. This pump will only be responsible for filtering/cycling water. This is going onto a ~27K gal salt water pool.

Here are my three choices (I'm looking at jandy to match rest of equipment):

1HP single speed. That's plenty of power and flow rate to do what needs to be done, but the pump always runs at full speed even when all I need is to run the water through swg and don't really need the skimmers engaged

1HP 2 speed, this pump will allow me to run @ full speed for cleaning/ vacuuming and half speed when I just need to produce chlorine. There are 2 concerns there: for some reason my pb does not like 2-speed pumps; I'm not sure that running @ half speed will produce enough flow to keep SWG engaged (it needs 30GPM according to peer curve it can produce that but a relatively low TDH)

Use ePump (1.5 or 2 HP) VS

I guess I could also look at 1.5HP 2-speed, but then half speed will look a lot like 1hp single speed.

Thoughts?

I generally agree with Jason. Two caveats:

1. The more stuff you add, solar, water features, the more sense a vs pump makes.

2. Electricity is only going up in price, the longer you have the pool the more sense a vs pump makes.

Very few applications where a single speed pump makes sense today.

The pump in question isn't the only pump. There will be a booster VS & 1.5hp water feature pump.

My electric costs at the moment are non existed as my solar overproduces about 1.5MW / year, but I still don't want to waste it.

Solar heating maybe something I would add later, but not sure if buying VS now would be justifiable...

I'm more concerned about my PB concern re 2sp. Anyone ever have any issues?
Is low speed going to be able to produce the flow needed for AP1400 as well as the heater?

Usually low speed is fine for the SWG, assuming the plumbing is not horrible. Running a heater on low is a little more questionable and usually running solar on low is not as efficient (after you primer on high). Given the variable nature of your flow requirements a VS would not hurt, although electrical is not a consideration.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.