Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: OOps, I emptied my pool for winter

1. Back To Top    #1

OOps, I emptied my pool for winter

Did I totally screw myself by emptying the pool? I didn't even think that I should have kept most of the water in. Am I safe leaving it empty, i'm mostly worried about the liner being damaged from snow and freezing water.
    --- Pool Status - Ice Cube
    18'x9'x52" Intex Rectangular Pool with Krystal Clear 2560gpm Sand Pump and Krystal Clear Salt Water System
    Hayward Skimmer with (2) 1 1/2" Hayward Returns
    16mil Klear Choice Solar Blanket

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: OOps, I emptied my pool for winter

If you are going to leave it up then leave it partially full. Since you drained, then I would take it apart and store it.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

I thought about completely taking it apart but those poles that go around the top edge were a real pain to get in, i can't imagine being able to get them out. The sleeve they go in is just too tight.
    18'x9'x52" Intex Rectangular Pool with Krystal Clear 2560gpm Sand Pump and Krystal Clear Salt Water System

4. Back To Top    #4

The water provides part of the structure for your pool. Fill it at least 1/2 way and cover it to keep excess snow and debris out.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Will the water get nasty though over the winter if i do that with no chemicals in it?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by blacknoir
    Will the water get nasty though over the winter if i do that with no chemicals in it?
    Depends on how soon you open in the spring, but the first good wind that comes along will tear the pool up if it doesn't have water in it.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

If you decide to fill it halfway back up at least as suggested.........go ahead and balance it as you normally would.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

We did that last year. Bought another pack of closing chems and refilled it 3/4
    24' Sharkline Matrix. Coral Reef Liner. Clearwater II Cartridge Filter. Saltron Retro Salt WaterGenerator. 4x20 Ecosaver Solar Panels, Rover Jr. robot vac. Fiberglass Steps and Lifesaver pool fence/gate.

Previous pool: 9x18 intex with salt water generator and vinylworks 5x10 deck.

9. Back To Top    #9

Did you fill it up or take it down?

Quote Originally Posted by SuzyAbbott
    pack of closing chems
    No need for the "packs"...just bleach/liquid chlorine and if you want, polyquat60 algaecide (I skip this).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.