running pump while dry

Jun 8, 2013
My pool builder sent out his crew to close my pool on 10/11/13. Today (10/17/13) I noticed a humming sound coming from my pool equipment area. I went outside and found that when the pool was closed they did not shut off the pump, so my pump has been running for almost a week for four hours a day without any water flowing through it. It states right on the pump that running it dry will damage it. Should I make my pool builder replace my pump since it ran dry for almost a week?

Welcome to TFP!

I'd be calling them to let them know about it. No easy way to check it until the pool is opened unless you can see distortion in the housing.

The seal will, almost certainly, be shot. Water acts as a lubricant for the seals on almost all pump setups. The motor should be OK.

EDIT: I should add the motor is probably OK now, but when the water comes back on, with a leaking seal, the motor will soon go bad since most pumps interface directly to the back of the pump. As a minimum, they should replace the seal, or you can do it yourself if you don't want to deal with the hassle of blame.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.