Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: running pump while dry

1. Back To Top    #1

running pump while dry

My pool builder sent out his crew to close my pool on 10/11/13. Today (10/17/13) I noticed a humming sound coming from my pool equipment area. I went outside and found that when the pool was closed they did not shut off the pump, so my pump has been running for almost a week for four hours a day without any water flowing through it. It states right on the pump that running it dry will damage it. Should I make my pool builder replace my pump since it ran dry for almost a week?

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: running pump while dry

Welcome to TFP!

I'd be calling them to let them know about it. No easy way to check it until the pool is opened unless you can see distortion in the housing.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Tampa Bay, Florida

Re: running pump while dry

The seal will, almost certainly, be shot. Water acts as a lubricant for the seals on almost all pump setups. The motor should be OK.

EDIT: I should add the motor is probably OK now, but when the water comes back on, with a leaking seal, the motor will soon go bad since most pumps interface directly to the back of the pump. As a minimum, they should replace the seal, or you can do it yourself if you don't want to deal with the hassle of blame.
    John (DIYer). Concrete, approximately 13,000 gallon inground pool with adjoining concrete spa. Approximately 35 years old. Legacy Anthony Sta-Rite bronze pump CF6, VA-26 filter,(2 sets), new Rheem propane heater for spa. HASA Liquidator for pool.