How far to drain the pool when winterizing?

Sep 28, 2012
Hi,

We are new to pool life and have learned so much from TFP and are grateful for all the help we've received! posting.php?mode=post&f=20#

We live in eastern North Carolina where the winters are not particularly harsh.
We have an Intex 14'x4' Ultra Frame Pool with an Intex sand filter. The only other modification to the pool is we added a skimmer.

We would like to leave the pool up this winter since water is very expensive here and we had to fill the pool twice this summer because of some leveling problems we'd had.

Here is my question: Can we just drain the pool to below the skimmer, (which is significantly higher than the return jet) BUT then plug the return jet rather than drain below it, (which would require draining the pool nearly halfway down)? This would save some of our expensive pool water from having to be drained. We are also concerned about the integrity of the pool structure if nearly half the water has to be removed.

Does anyone expect there would be any problem with this winterizing arrangement? Thanks for any wisdom you have to share!

Hi,

It is is a through wall skimmer.

What is a "blowout gizmo"? And when you say you "blow the returns", what do you mean? I will be removing the flex hoses from the filter to the skimmer and jet return. I will drain the Intex sand filter, set it to the "N" setting for winterizing & then leave the outlets on the filter open (but covered with screen so critters can't get into it) I will store the Intex pump in the garage.

It's a gizmo that goes into the skimmer that has a port in the top so you can blow the lines through it. Since you're removing the hoses you don't need to worry about that. Just drain below the skimmer and leave the bottom port open so the water will drain out. Since my pool is hard piped, I blow air through the plumbing and when it's blowing good out the return I install a plug while it's still blowing. By removing the hose, you eliminate the need to do that. You just need to plug the return in the pool.

We used to go about 3 inches blow the lowest hole thru the liner. That way any rain is not an issue. We also removed the plungers so if there was a lot of water it would then just overflow thru one of the holes. No problem!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.