Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How far to drain the pool when winterizing?

1. Back To Top    #1

How far to drain the pool when winterizing?

Hi,

We are new to pool life and have learned so much from TFP and are grateful for all the help we've received! posting.php?mode=post&f=20#

We live in eastern North Carolina where the winters are not particularly harsh.
    We have an Intex 14'x4' Ultra Frame Pool with an Intex sand filter. The only other modification to the pool is we added a skimmer.

We would like to leave the pool up this winter since water is very expensive here and we had to fill the pool twice this summer because of some leveling problems we'd had.

Here is my question: Can we just drain the pool to below the skimmer, (which is significantly higher than the return jet) BUT then plug the return jet rather than drain below it, (which would require draining the pool nearly halfway down)? This would save some of our expensive pool water from having to be drained. We are also concerned about the integrity of the pool structure if nearly half the water has to be removed.

Does anyone expect there would be any problem with this winterizing arrangement? Thanks for any wisdom you have to share!
    4,000 gal, Intex 14' x 4' AGP, Intex pump/filter, thru wall skimmer, Taylor test kit, Catfish vacuum

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How far to drain the pool when winterizing?

What type pool do you have?

I don't drain mine at all. I use a blowout gizmo in the skimmer and blow and plug the returns and it's good to go.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

As I stated in my original post we have an Intex 14'x4' Ultra Frame Pool AGP with an Intex sand filter. The only other modification to the pool is we added a skimmer.
    4,000 gal, Intex 14' x 4' AGP, Intex pump/filter, thru wall skimmer, Taylor test kit, Catfish vacuum

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, I don't know how I missed that! I called myself reading it a couple of times.

Is that a through the wall skimmer or an over the wall skimmer?

If it's through the wall, then you could do as I do.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi,

It is is a through wall skimmer.

What is a "blowout gizmo"? And when you say you "blow the returns", what do you mean? I will be removing the flex hoses from the filter to the skimmer and jet return. I will drain the Intex sand filter, set it to the "N" setting for winterizing & then leave the outlets on the filter open (but covered with screen so critters can't get into it) I will store the Intex pump in the garage.

6. Back To Top    #6

It's a gizmo that goes into the skimmer that has a port in the top so you can blow the lines through it. Since you're removing the hoses you don't need to worry about that. Just drain below the skimmer and leave the bottom port open so the water will drain out. Since my pool is hard piped, I blow air through the plumbing and when it's blowing good out the return I install a plug while it's still blowing. By removing the hose, you eliminate the need to do that. You just need to plug the return in the pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, thanks. I thought maybe that's what you meant, but wanted to make sure. Thanks for all your help!

8. Back To Top    #8

We used to go about 3 inches blow the lowest hole thru the liner. That way any rain is not an issue. We also removed the plungers so if there was a lot of water it would then just overflow thru one of the holes. No problem!
    24' Sharkline Matrix. Coral Reef Liner. Clearwater II Cartridge Filter. Saltron Retro Salt WaterGenerator. 4x20 Ecosaver Solar Panels, Rover Jr. robot vac. Fiberglass Steps and Lifesaver pool fence/gate.

Previous pool: 9x18 intex with salt water generator and vinylworks 5x10 deck.