Polaris 360 Installation issues

MDP

May 17, 2013
I just installed a brand new Polaris 360. However it is not working properly. Couple of things:

1. The backup valve continuously sprays water
2. The Polaris runs really slow (didn't check the RPM, but this is definitely less than 28)
3. It does not pick up leaves
3. After running for a while it circles around within a small area

I did all sort of trouble shooting (i.e. putting a cap on other water outlets, checking filter pressure, putting the little thing at 11 O'clock position etc.). The only thing that I concerns me is the filter pressure starts ~ 22 psi (after backwash) and this becomes ~ 27 after an hour or so. Does it have anything with the Polaris 360 issue?

Please note that this a brand new Polaris 360 (fresh out of box).

Hope somebody can help! Thanks in advance.

If the back up valve sprays water continuously not shutting off that is why the Polaris is not running properly and should be replaced. Your Polaris has a one year warranty so you can return it to where you purchased it. As far as the filter you should take it apart and clean it.

Thank you very much Poolsupplysales and Chu1ck for your responses. I called the manufacturer and they mentioned the valve must have picked up something from the pool and this is why it's spraying water. They want me to open the valve casing and look for any small debris or so stuck inside. Do you think this is a good idea? Again, this is a brand new Polaris 360.

Sounds OK to me, but in all my years of Polaris 360 experience I've opened only one.If you do it near the pool use a tarp or towel to lay things on, take it apart carefully. Take a picture after you've opened it to remember how parts fit.
Good luck; let us know how it goes.

Thanks again Chu1ck. I took it to the pool store and they had replaced the back up valve. This is unusual to have a brand new Polaris to have a bad valve, but things happen!

Now back to point, I put the Polaris back but again no luck. The wheels move and so, but the Polaris stays in the middle of the pool, does NOT touch the floor. This is frustrating.

One thing I noted is, when I saw the pump, the pressure was zero and there was air inside, I stopped the pump, opened the cover and saw that the water inside was really hot (almost boiling). I let it cool down for more than an hour, opened all three skimmer inlets (only one was open, rest of the two were closed) and then started the pump. Now I have pressure in the filter (still some air inside pump) but again the Polaris revolves in the middle of the pool.

Any thoughts? I really appreciate your advise.

Absolutely. You have a suction side air leak which will DRAMATICALLY affect your cleaner and the overall efficiency of your system.

Somewhere between the pump and the skimmer(s), air is being sucked into the system. Find that leak and your issues with the cleaner will likely be solved.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Suction side leaks are one of the most common problems and there will soon be an article in Pool School to guide you through finding them.

Meanwhile, first understand that these leaks only occur between the skimmers and the impeller in your pump....nowhere else.

The most common source seems to be the lid on the pump basket not seating correctly. Check that out by running a hose over the top of the lid (pump running) and see if the bubbles in the basket go away.

It can also be because you water level is too low in the pool and you are sucking air down through the skimmer

Drain plugs not tight on the bottom of the pump basket are another source.

There are more. Can you post pictures of the SUCTION side of your equipment. Someone may help you spot something that might be a culprit.

You can have more than one source, too. It takes diligence and determination and learning but you can do it and we'll help if you like.

Posting pics of your suction side plumbing is often helpful.

Thanks again everybody! I was finally able to fix it with your help!! I closed rest of the two returns completely and the Polaris is working perfectly now! I still see air bubbles in the pump, but looks like I can ignore them at least for now.

Thanks again everybody!
The Polaris is up and running well!!
One more question though - when I connect the Polaris the filter pressure jumps by almost 7 PSI! I cleaned the filter, the pressure went down to 24 PSI once I started the cleaned filter. Then connected the Polaris 360 and pressure went up to 31! Is it normal?
Please note that I closed all other returns and only the return via the Polaris 360 is open.

MDP said:
...when I connect the Polaris the filter pressure jumps by almost 7 PSI! I cleaned the filter, the pressure went down to 24 PSI once I started the cleaned filter. Then connected the Polaris 360 and pressure went up to 31! Is it normal?
Please note that I closed all other returns and only the return via the Polaris 360 is open.
This sounds plausible if you are closing all other returns except for the Polaris return. Just curious...will it not work properly unless you close the other returns? I run my 360 will all other returns open. The only valve I shut off sometimes is the spa-spillover valve. When I shut off the spa valve, the PSI goes up 2-3 PSI.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.