Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Warm Climates

1. Back To Top    #1

Warm Climates

n00b question here.

I live in sunny Arizona where the average lowest temperature we see is 45F. Along the same lines the greenery never goes away - some plants lose their leaves but most do not.

Being in a warmer climate, I'm not sure what to do with my pool over the winter months. I don't have a pool heater but I also don't plan on swimming because I'm a sissy and only like to swim when the water is warm, warm, warm!

So what does everyone do in the warmer climates that doesn't have a pool heater?
    NEW POOL: 11k IGP, Pebbletec, Hayward Pro-Grid 3620 D.E. Filter, 1HP Pentair?/Emerson
    OLD POOL: 12.3k IGP, Pebbletec, Pentair 60 D.E. Filter, 1HP Pentair/Emerson + 1HP Pentair waterfall, Pentair IC40, and borated

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Warm Climates

Just shorten the pump run time and maintain the chemicals as usual. The chlorine consumption will drop down a lot as the water cools and there is less sun.

When freezing weather is expected, just run the pump at night to prevent pipe issues.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

the greenery never goes away
    C'mon, PK and jblizzle, the only thing green out there in AZ is the bottom light in the stoplights and some of the paint at Home Depot! (Sorry, I couldn't resist)

Back to your question, +1 what jblizzle said. I keep my pool open year round and simply treat it the same as summer. Naturally, the FC consumption drops off dramactically, I have to scoop leaves, and I reduce my pump run time quite a bit but the basic principles still apply....maintain adequate FC based on your CYA and keep your pool clean. Keep your test parameters within the ranges we suggest.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

That palm tree close to my pool is half brown and half green.

With that said, I currently don't have a pool cover - is that worth the cost in any manner? I don't have much plant life that will shed aside from that palm tree that somewhat overhangs the pool.

Thanks for the comments.
    NEW POOL: 11k IGP, Pebbletec, Hayward Pro-Grid 3620 D.E. Filter, 1HP Pentair?/Emerson
    OLD POOL: 12.3k IGP, Pebbletec, Pentair 60 D.E. Filter, 1HP Pentair/Emerson + 1HP Pentair waterfall, Pentair IC40, and borated

5. Back To Top    #5

I do exactly what they said above.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

You don't need the cover.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School