Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Winterizing above ground newbie

1. Back To Top    #1

Winterizing above ground newbie

So this is my first time winterizing my pool and I thought I knew what I was doing after reading the pool school info and other info online but somewhere along the line I got the idea that you can remove your whole skimmer box and return jet and leave it open during the winter (after the water level was drained 6" below the return of course). So that is what I did and now I'm freaking out that I made a mistake. Now that I have been reading more into it, it looks like everyone else leaves theirs on. I think when I read the part that says remove the skimmer basket I assumed it was the whole skimmer. I feel like I'm failing at this pool stuff, please help. Can the whole thing be removed and left open? should I put it back on? I have a 21' AG and live in MN where it will freeze completely. I have a solid winter cover on it with air pillow and seal wrap. Any input is appreciated.
    ~Ruth
    26,000 gal (38'x18') / IG Vinyl outdoor / Filter: Hayward S244T (Sand, 62GPM) / Pump: AO Smith USQ1102 (1 HP).
    History: House purchased with pool Dec 2012. Pool built c.1979 (wooden frame); Current liner needs replacing, age unknown. Pump age unknown. Filter ~2011?
    Completed Pool School: June 2013, with many thanks. Test kit: TF-100. Water source: Deep well pH 7.8, TA 90, CH 80 (and plenty of GA rain!).

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Winterizing above ground newbie

Yes...put it back on. Try and pull the liner up further than it was before and make new screw holes for the skimmer. Try and line the return up exactly. Otherwise, the old holes might stretch an create a leak.
    24' round above ground, 13500 gallons, vinyl liner, 18" Sand Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to tfp, katlindahl

As PJ said, put them back on.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys! It's going back on tomorrow!
    ~Ruth
    26,000 gal (38'x18') / IG Vinyl outdoor / Filter: Hayward S244T (Sand, 62GPM) / Pump: AO Smith USQ1102 (1 HP).
    History: House purchased with pool Dec 2012. Pool built c.1979 (wooden frame); Current liner needs replacing, age unknown. Pump age unknown. Filter ~2011?
    Completed Pool School: June 2013, with many thanks. Test kit: TF-100. Water source: Deep well pH 7.8, TA 90, CH 80 (and plenty of GA rain!).