Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First Time Pool Owner

1. Back To Top    #1

First Time Pool Owner

Hello everyone my nam is Andrew and I just bought a home with a in ground swimming pool. It is in imaculate shape and was inspected by a professional to prove it. I myself have never touched a chlorine puck and have no clue what the lingo is or what any of the levels are supposed to be. I just ordered the Taylor k-2006 and am wanting to use the BBB method on my pool and have no idea where to start????
    Can one of the professionals please respond back and give me some info.DONT KNOW WHERE TO START..........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    19,000 gallon Gunite in ground pool
    1.5 horsepower pump
    Sp-740de Hayward FLO-selector filter
    Switching from pucks to BBB PLEASE HELP

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: First Time Pool Owner

Welcome to TFP!

Start with category.php?c=getting_started
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Welcome to TFP!!!

"one of the professionals" ?!?!? Most of us are just homeowners like yourself that have realized that most of the local pool stores / "experts" really do not know what they are talking about in regards to pool chemistry and are more interested in making money. And thus we volunteer our time to help teach others

John pointed you to a great resource in Pool School. It can be a little daunting, if you read at least the first few articles a few times, you will quickly know more about the chemistry and how to maintain your pool than 99% of the pool store employees.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Twin Cities, MN

Welcome to tfp, Andrew34

Here is good article in pool school (link is always near the upper right of the page) to get you started:
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5
    DFW, Texas

Welcome to TFP!

I would read the "Getting Started" articles in Pool School as the other Moderators have suggested.

After reading these articles, I would familiarize myself with Pool Math which is a web-based tool that will help you keep your swimming pool's water chemistry in balance and tell you how much of each chemical to add based on your test results. This tool will make more sense after reading the "Getting Started" articles in Pool School.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP Andrew!

As advised, the best thing you can do is study the basics first. Get a handle on the ABC's and work it from there. Ask questions as you need too, we are glad to help. Good Luck and learn lots.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr