It was bound to happen.
We've been working on this pool project all summer long. We finally, at long last, got the ground level and within a few weeks got the thing built and water in it. Being so late in the season we did not connect the circulation system and the water was kept below the skimmer. We didn't really add anything to it because the intention was to cover it and close it and start the BBB maintenance after opening in the spring.
I'm in central PA.
So about a week ago, it got rainy and windy and some debris, leaves, a couple bugs got into the pool water. I hadn't gotten the cover on it in time I guess. I skimmed out some of them but apparently I missed a windy day and lo and behold I've got leaves and crud in there again. And green starting to grow. Water looks shiny on top with tiny patches of growth on the surface if you look close.
My question is, can I vacuum out the gunk without my pump? Is there a way to connect a vac to a garden hose and flush straight to the street?
In my head I shouldn't add any load of chlorine without the pump system up and running because it could cause damage to my liner. Plus I haven't really gotten the test kit- like I said, we were set on closing for the winter without starting the chemicals. There is nothing added to the water other than organic matter and green stuff, which you know, naturally occurred.
What do I do?
As I see it I could vacuum out any organic matter I can get out and then cover and deal with the rest in the spring. I know algae on opening isn't uncommon so I'm not having panic attacks over it but slight anxiety is setting in. It took us so long to put this thing up properly that I am kind of seeing pink about the whole situation.
I would really like to at least get crud out of there before I cover. My head says that any matter in there is allowing the algae to feast and live. Am I just wasting time trying to do that?
Will the cold winter kind of halt the algae?
Am I wrong not adding anything to the pool before closing for winter in my situation?
Should I connect the pump and treat it now or close and wait?
Any help would be appreciated. We are frustrated and I don't want to lose more time and have a worse issue. I also don't want to waste time if I don't need to.
ETA- Sorry, I didn't realize cr*p was a "bad" word so edited to "crud". Don't want you all thinking I cuss like a sailor or anything while asking for advice haha