Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water Balance for new plaster pool during the winter

1. Back To Top    #1

Water Balance for new plaster pool during the winter

Is there anything different I need to do or be aware of this winter in regards to water balance and care of a new diamond brite plastered pool? I will be keeping my pump continuously most of the winter. I do have a freeze protection system set up too. I will not be covering it and was wanting to know what everyone does with their pool that keep it open. Temp in the winter time does get below freezing occasionally. I was also curious if I plugged off two of my 3 skimmers would the lines freeze if it got below freezing? The water does circulate, but the farthest skimmer doesn't pull much water even with reducers on the other two skimmers. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

pH=7.5
    TA=110
    cH=220
    CYA=30
    FC=4.0
    CC=0

I do have a fountain and will not run it much over the winter. Keeps jacking with my pH.

25,000 gallon pool, 1.5hp Hayward, 24-in Pentair sand filter?,

Thanks

Al
    Mountain View, Arkansas, 23,000 gallon in-ground concrete pool with a 24-in Hayward Pro-Series Sand Filter with side-mount. Chlorinator is attached but only use occasionally and a 1 hp pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water Balance for new plaster pool during the winter

And my signature information is correct. I couldn't I forgot I had it and also forgot what size everything was. Duh on me!
    Mountain View, Arkansas, 23,000 gallon in-ground concrete pool with a 24-in Hayward Pro-Series Sand Filter with side-mount. Chlorinator is attached but only use occasionally and a 1 hp pump.

3. Back To Top    #3

You're pretty far north in AR, so if I were going to close off the skimmers I'd put a gizmo in them at least. My preference would be to leave them open so they would flow some water, but they're probably far enough under ground that they won't freeze there anyway. Do you know you're frost level?

Since you're going to leave the pump running just maintain the levels you normally do. It'll take a lot less chlorine than in the summer and you should be able to cut the pump run time way back.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. I have a timer on the pump and when it stays cold will on set it to run at night and kick on when temp is below 40. The water doesn't flow much in the two skimmers farthest from the pump, but I think I'll just leave them open. Not sure about the frost level, but it is very rocky terrain up this way. And I'll keep FC at the minimum for my CYA level when temp drops consistently. Thanks for the reply.

5. Back To Top    #5

And as the water gets colder, will I need to balance pool based on the CSI or just keep it balanced as normal?

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

If you keep the parameters within the guidelines we suggest (and yours are), CSI isn't important in 99% of all pools.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Cool. Thanks. I'll just keep them within the guidelines.