Haward 3000 series cartridge issue

jsb91010

In The Industry
Oct 15, 2013
hey guys, I have a 2hp dual speed super II pump. Paired with an older hayward c3000 series quad cartridge filter. I was having issues with it not filtering so the filter elements have been replaced as well as the bottom manifold that was cracked. After doing that whenever I try and vacuum out the dead algae, still I get dead algrea coming back via the returns. I have checked to make sure the filters were seated on the manifold, and the top manifold was pressed firmly into all 4 cartridges. Im lost, any help?

Re: Haward 3000 series cartride issue

yes, the algae is dead and all settled on the bottom of the pool. Before replacing the manifold when vacuuming the debri would return to pool. I saw a big crack on the underside of the bottom manifold and therefor replaced it. Put in new O'rings too. The water chemistry is good. The algae is dead and I just cannot get it filtered out when vacuuming it comes back in via the return jets... my next option was to get a trash pump to bypass the filter and hopefully once it's 90% removed the filters can keep up?

If it's truly bypassing the filter then there has to be something wrong in the filter. I would pull it apart again and make sure a cartridge or o-ring isn't torn or out of place.

What is your filter pressure when it's just been cleaned and when it's time to clean it?

You can use a skimmer sock to help catch the debris, but it's going to fill up fast too.

Please post a full set of test results and how you got them.

Re: Haward 3000 series cartride issue

the chems got them via a test strip, everything was good... i maintain the pool weekly for a customer of mine, and since i got it a little while ago they've always had filter issues. Finally got them to OK the manifold replacement figuring for sure a cracked one was the issue, but it apparently wasn't the only issue! The chlorine been 10+ppm as the owner was shocking while I wasn't there. Other than that ph good 7.6 alkalinity 120. My main issue is the debri in pool bypassing the filter SOMEHOW and getting back into the pool. has me stumped. Also, top relief valve assembly has a slight crack and owner doesn't want me to replace it :hammer: (tight wad)... therefor i cannot give you PSI reading because the gauge is broken and replacing it would for sure require a new air relief valve assembly. I double checked it yesterday during my stop, but I am going to triple check it again this week sometime to check all sealing spots. Everything was good yesterday. On the incoming elbow that is inside the filter, do you know what the purpose of the O'ring is for? nothing goes there....

Strips are all but useless, especially when trying to solve a mystery. You also need a good working pressure gauge in order to troubleshoot the issue.

Did you change the carts and/or the manifold?

Sounds like you're up against a wall. The only thing you can do is tear it down and make sure it's put back together correctly.

about 30% of my customers have non-working gauges just the way it goes sometimes they don't want to buy new stuff. They are useless though on my DE's because i can tell just from circulation when backwash is needed. quad cartridges are the worst though, I keep telling him but he already paid for the manifold and cartridges so he's over it I guess. Really old pool and equipment needs alot of work, best I can do is work with them and try and solve the issue for the cheapest way possible. What I'm saying is the water chemistry is fine, I just had it tested digitally when I first got account and everything was good just a little high pH, since then I've gotten it down. Pool has VERY good suction and circulation so I just am left to assume doing best I can that the pressure isn't too high, pump is not cavitating or stressing either. I will just have to break it apart again from the sounds of it, just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was missing! Thanks fellas for the insight

We see it time and time again. People tell us that the chemistry is fine, yet they don't have one of the recommended kits to test it with so they have no idea if it's fine or not. Sorry to be so blunt, but you have no idea what the balance really is. The vast majority of issues that get blamed on filtration are actually chemistry. That's why we keep going back to it. My instinct tells me that what you're seeing isn't a filter issue but a chemistry issue.

What form of chlorine is used to chlorinate the pool?

not sure what the owner uses but my guess is cal-hypo... tabs otherwise. I will have to get the water tested again to be able to get you digital numbers on the readings.. of course the hardness is through the roof but that's normal for down here where I'm at. So your saying the fact that fine particals are going through the skimmer line into the filter and returning to the pool is a chemistry issue? Hopefully I can get by there this week and grab a water sample and I can post back my findings! Thanks Bama Rambler!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We don't trust the digital readings either ;) How are you certain that testing equipment has been properly calibrated?

I am not sure how you guys deal with these owners that just don't care and won't spend the $ to fix things. I would likely end up telling them to deal with it themselves if they do not want to fix what needs fixing. :hammer:

it's easy jblizzle they keep paying :) ... It does get frustrating man trust me especially when I tell them the seals are leaking and need to be fixed ASAP and they don't, then couple weeks later there bearings are screaming now too... they never get it!! But for every 1 person who doesn't want to fix anything there's 10 that want the pool working correctly regardless of cost. But I am not sure what testers you guys trust but I have the OTO test aswell think rainbow brand or taylor, can't remember off the top of my head. Other than that I don't believe I will be getting a tester ya'll trust!

Sorry for your blind trust in testing procedures that have been proven inprecise and inferior time and time again. Unfortunatly for you and your clientel you dont have an acurate way of checking the chemistry of the water and just throw your time away fuitily.

lol thanks for the insight Family Guy! But I chose to use the Rainbow test drops and they have proven by HUNDREDS of pool service companies where I live to be effective at maintaining a pool just fine. Maintaining 50+ pools a week having one with an issue is going to happen, just doing the best I can...Going to have my buddy come look at it with me make sure I'm not missing anything and will post back fellas, because now coming up on pollen season last I want is a sub par system!

The kits we recommend are linked to in my signature. The key really being the FAS-DPD chlorine test.

You have to realize (and I think you do) that this forum is mainly for homeowners, so often the advice does not work well for pool companies that only visit once a week. Does not mean you can not learn, but it may not be directly applicable.

yeah, i get it :) ... I know to take it all with a grain of salt, but i do believe there is knowledge to be learned here! Thank you for the link to the products you were referring to

oh i forgot to ask, what are the trusted methods you guys use around here that everyone speaks of!? Nobody has told me yet just keeps eluding to them, Thanks
Pool School in the upper right corner of your screen. Everyone should start with "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.