Fafco install - substrate?

Mar 28, 2013
San Jose, CA
Hi All,

I just purchased 12 used Fafco panels and I have an installation question. The Fafco manual says

"2. Lay down the first panel. Be certain it is straight and square on the roof.
Simply lay substrate underneath each panel."

What is the substrate? I can seem to find a reference any where. We have a composite shingle roof.

thanks,
Steve

Try looking at http://h2otsun.com/ for some good generic installation techniques, they have lots of examples of installations on alternative as well as traditional roof materials. I don't know for sure what they are talking about in the Fafco manual, but I suspect it is some type of rub plate.

Ike

ps0303 said:
Just lay them on the shingled roof. That is how it's down all over from what I have seen. Shingled or tiled roofs, just lay out the panels.

That's what I expected. I have seen references to sheet metal placed below the the plumbing where it hits the shingles as a wear preventative.
I suspect the panels move around a bit as they expand and contract with temp.

Steve

SteveB48 said:
ps0303 said:
Just lay them on the shingled roof. That is how it's down all over from what I have seen. Shingled or tiled roofs, just lay out the panels.

That's what I expected. I have seen references to sheet metal placed below the the plumbing where it hits the shingles as a wear preventative.
I suspect the panels move around a bit as they expand and contract with temp.

Steve

Yes they can wear on the shingles so you would need to put something under certain parts of them to prevent the wear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.