Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How long can I run without DE?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Southern NH

How long can I run without DE?

So, my pool pump was tripping the breaker when going from high to low speed (was happening for a week, waiting for the pool company to check it out). I decide to do a backwash (all in high speed), to see if there was some variable I wasn't considering. After the backwash, the pump stopped coming on all together.

The pump was just replaced. I plan on closing the pool in the next few days. But I want to run the pump just to get things back in order (actually, pool is crystal clear, there are just a few leaves I want to take care of). Is it bad for me to run my pool without DE? Can I do it for a few days (I get that it will not filter the smaller things).
    26k gal IG, Gunite Baha Sand River Rok (pebble), Hayward DE6020 Filter (120GPM), Hayward NorthStar 2HP (dual speed) pump, Hayward H400FDP 400kBTU heater, Aqua Comfort Heat pump, Pro Logic Automation and Chlorination (SWG), Polaris 3900 (we call him Fred, he likes to get stuck in the corner of our stairs). Watch our pool being built

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: How long can I run without DE?

I wouldn't recommend running it at all without DE in it. The problem is not that it just don't filter small stuff, it's that it could possibly clog the grids permanently. Since you're talking a few days and not a few hours, it's well worth the time and trouble to recharge it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Indiana

Run on recirculate if you just need skimmer action.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

From the Hayward DE Filter owner's manual: "To avoid damages to the grid elements, DO NOT operate the filter for more than a minute or two without the D.E.
    17x37 IG vinyl, Grecian style, 20k gal, Hayward DE4800, Hayward Super Pump II 1 hp, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator, 6 Vortex 4x10 solar panels, Aquabot Turbo, Dolphin M5, loop-loc mesh cover