Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie in Tennessee, IG Vinyl Liner

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie in Tennessee, IG Vinyl Liner

Good evening, I've bee reviewing the forums over the last few weeks as we got closer to completing our inground, vinyl liner pool and really appreciate the feedback from the members! Just completed testing with Taylor Complete FAS-DPD Pool Water Test Kit K-2006 with results listed below:

FC -- 0
    CC -- .2 ppm
    PH -- 7.7
    TA -- 60
    CH -- 90
    CYA -- tester stopped reading at 30, but could still clearly see the bottom of the tester. Little to no cloudiness in test sample.

I recently (30 min ago upped the output on my SWG from 4 of 8 to 7 of 8). I plan to run my pump through the night on med (~ 1900 rpm) to help get my FC levels up. Question, should I use that method or plan to increase FC by utilizing Bleach? Thanks adn look forward to the feedback!!
    19K Gal, 38'x28' (free form), depth 3 1/2' to 8 1/2', Vinyl, Astral Variable Pump (P280), 25" Sand Filter, Astral VX SWG,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie in Tennessee, IG Vinyl Liner

I would add some bleach as soon as you can. My reading through this forum and personal experience is that SWG is good at maintaining FC levels not getting it there from 0. Read through Pool School for recommended levels for SWG. CYA isn't high enough but I will certainly defer to the experts here.
    18x36 kidney 20,000 gallons IG vinyl. Pentair Easy Touch 8 w/IntelliChlor IC40. Triton II TR100. Pentair Intellifllo Variable Speed. Waterfall/Jump Rock. 2 Pentair Intellibrite lights. TF-100 Test Kit. And a very happy husband who gets to play in the pool without having to take care of it.

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree. Get some FC in the pool using bleach immediately. Use PoolMath to calculate how much to use.

You also need to get more CYA in the water, you are way too low for a SWG pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum. Tell us the city and state in which you live and whether or not you are closing your pool. Climate is important to the responses given.

That said, you clearly need more CYA and chlorine but give us the above info first and we'll guide you to the correct levels.

Have you read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

sorry about that, but I live outside of Nashville tn. Not planning on closing the pool durin the winter months. Should I target 4ppm FC or slam to a higher FC level until I get the CYA level up?
    19K Gal, 38'x28' (free form), depth 3 1/2' to 8 1/2', Vinyl, Astral Variable Pump (P280), 25" Sand Filter, Astral VX SWG,

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Start with a SLAM value of FC 8-10ppm. Consult the FC/CYA relationship chart as you add CYA, the SLAM FC value will increase.

We suggest a CYA of around 20-30 for the SLAM......so maintain an FC of 12 or so once you have the CYA in there.

Your climate is similar to mine in Raleigh so I would suggest you SLAM now and then leave CYA around 30 ppm for the winter, raising it to around 50 sometime in April/May.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to tfp, southeastsmiley

What does your water look like? Is it clear?

With a swg, typically you want the cya level at 70-80 ppm. However since you water temp is dropping and the sun angle is lessening, you may be able to get by with a lower cya value now. I still would raise cya (after the SLAM if it is needed) to at least 50 ppm now if you plan to run the swg, since you don't close.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks, look forward to a troublefree pool next swim season by fine tuning my skills during the winter months .

Water is crystal clear.

To be clear -- I should slam first (raise FC to ~ 10PPM), then begin raising CYA? If this is the case how long should I wait before I add CYA to the pool? I am going to slam the pool this evening and leave my pump running throughout the night. Then test FC in the a.m.

9. Back To Top    #9

Sounds like your CYA is just under 30ppm, so that should be fine to SLAM with a FC of 10ppm. Finish that process and then you can start to raise the CYA more (or just wait until the spring to do that).

Realize that the SLAM process is not a 1 time addition of chlorine. [slam:3exgwgvt][/slam:3exgwgvt]
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!