SWG power requirements

drb

Sep 15, 2013
Buffalo,NY
I am in the mist of a major pool reno and have a question on the proper wiring for a SWG. I plan on having my PB to install an Autopilot Digital. I have a two speed pump. Now my question is how to wire it so that the swg only comes on when the pump is running. I thought I would have to purchase a relay and run the power to that. I have a electrician doing the wiring but he has little experience with pool equipment.

My PB says the Autopilot can only run when the pump is on and everthing needed to make it work properly is included with the kit. Is this so? Can anyone give me any more info?
Thanks in advance.

Daren

Do you have a timer feeding the pump? That can power the SWG as well
So far nothing is hooked up yet. I will have 220 run out to a 2-speed pump. My guess is that this will run to a 3 way switch [low, high, off]. Now I guess after that I need to hook up the SWG to the switch so power only runs to the SWG in low or high only. Is this the way it would be done? Is everything needed to do this included with the SWG [Autopilot Digital] or do I need to buy something else?

Thanks
Daren

You should add an on/off timer for the pump like an Intermatic. The speed should then be selected after the timer using a SPDT switch. Some pumps come with this switch on the motor, others you need to add a switch, could just be a 3 way light switch like you use in the house. Alternatively you could have a second timer to automatically switch the speeds.

The SWG would then just be hooked up to the on/off timer so it only has power when the pump gets power.

Problem I see by doing it this way is the swg could run while the power is off. If the 3 way switch is set to off but the timer is on the swg would have power.

Maybe a way around this is to use a 2 way switch (high/low). Another possible problem with this is what if a had the speed on low ( which will be the case 95% of the time) In low speed maybe the pump would not prime so then wouldn't the swg be running without the pump?

Just looking for a full proof way to avoid any costly mistakes

The way I wired my system is the 220V is wired to a main switch that will turn on/off the power to all the equipment and from there I run the 220V to an intermatic timer, T104. All of the equipment is wired to the intermatic timer so everything is linked to the pump. In my first wired configuration I had another SPDT switch to control the speeds of the pump and this had to be switched manually if I wanted to change the speed. I have since added another intermatic speed timer switch, T106, so the speeds are now switched on a fixed schedule through out the day. My pump doesn't lose prime when it is off so starting in low speed would not be an issue, but I have it timed so it ends the day in high speed and starts the day in high speed.

The 3 way switch I mentioned is a SPDT, it does not have an off position.

Also, once the pump is primed, it should not lose prime and thus starting on low is not a problem.

We have described how these are typically wired. I suppose you could deviate, but not sure why you would.

You should add an on/off timer for the pump like an Intermatic. The speed should then be selected after the timer using a SPDT switch. Some pumps come with this switch on the motor, others you need to add a switch, could just be a 3 way light switch like you use in the house. Alternatively you could have a second timer to automatically switch the speeds.

This sounds like a good plan. Which timer to you recomend? Do I need the optional relay as shown in the Dig-220 manual? I thought I read that the relay once came with the SWG unit but now it doesn't and if you ask AutoPilot they will sent one. The reasearch I did came up with this; AutoPilot 15531 APK0004 Pump Relay.

Thanks
Daren

I guess a timer is a good idea and I could get use to one but is there a manual bypass on timers? My real question is if I want to turn my pump on at an unscheduled time to manually vacuum the pool is there a way to do that besides rotating the dial to force it on or off?

Thanks
Daren

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
drb, did you figure out what you are going to do? If you have the timeclock to control power to the AutoPilot, but have the AutoPilot control the two speeds, that should take care of it. Then you will only need a typical T104 Intermatic time clock. You will need to have the dealer you bought the AutoPilot from, order you the relay kit, as it will need to be reconciled to the DIG unit order by the dealer.

drb, did you figure out what you are going to do?

Not quite, but getting closer thanks to all the help on this forum. I do not have a timer yet but may order one, also I am having the PB sent for the pump relay even if I end up not using it. I am not an electrian but here is what I think are my options:

[1]Hook Dig-220 to power from outside sub-panel using pump relay to control pump speed. I wouldn't have off switch for pump but then I could use breaker to shut off power to SWG and pumps. One question; Does the Dig-220 allow you to program time cycles that the pump and SWG would run? Problem being using breaker as power off may reset settings and mess up any program.

[2] Poolsean method. Get T104 hook to power then hook SWG to timer. I would use SWG with relay to only control speed of pump. Time cycles and on/off would be done with the timer.

[3] Can I hook a 2-speed switch to breaker to control pump then hook SWG to be powered by that switch? Breaker would then control on/off and switch would control speeds

[4] jblizzle method. Is this the same as Poolsean way except it would take the place on the power relay?

All thought idea are appreciated.
Thanks Again
DAREN

You can control when the high speed comes on, and up to two cycles per day. otherwise, it defaults to low speed, the rest of the time. There is no OFF mode on the DIG. This is where the external time clock comes in. You will not need to worry about it losing it's memory when it's powered off. The battery keeps the time accurate, and any programmed settings is stored on the microprocessor. No power is needed to retain these settings.
If you connect the pump and DIG on a common switch, you will still need to control when high speed or low speed comes on. As with the use of a two speed timeclock, the DIG will only connect to one of the two speeds, so it will not really work as you want. You can power it up at all times, independant of the time clock, then rely on the flow switch to shut the cell off because if insufficient flow. However, as a safeguard, it's always better not to only rely on the flow switch to turn the power off to the cell.

I don't have a timer but buying one is no problem. I take it the Intermatic T104R would be the proper choice?

So which would be the preferred method?

Autopilot direct from service panel and hook the pump to SWG

or timer to SWG and pump to SWG this would require the pump relay and speeds to be controlled by autopilot

or timer to SW and pump this would not require relay and would need a switch to control pump speed.

Would all these methods work? Do some make no sense?

Automation of the pump speed is no big deal for me, high is only need when I vacuum and turning speed manually to high is fine.

Thanks
Daren

From what I can tell, the -R3 is a higher NEMA rate (more watertite) housing. Both are Raintite boxes (thus the -R part number). However, the T104R has been used in the pool industry for YEARS, and is ok to use. The internals are the same between the two.

rjledoux - It's a safety recommendation to have it interfaced with the pump power. If all is working fine (the flow switch that is), then there are NO issues. In this particular situation, the DIG is capable of operating the two speed pump but without an OFF mode, thus the recommendation for the external time clock.

Here are a few things that I did, I see that you also live in the Northeast cold climate, I ran a 220 line from electrical panel to Intermatic timer just next to my side garage door, then from there to a on / off switch near the pump, I leave this on all of the time except for the convenience of backwashing or cleaning the skimmer then I turn it off,( this will shut down the pump and SWG), the power from the switch goes to a 220 receptical for the pump and I jumped out of that to another 220 receptical for the SWG . I put a wire and 220 plug on the pump , and a wire and 220 plug to run to the power for SWG. I only have a single speed pump, With the plugs on both pump and SWG , I can easily remove both and store them inside for the winter , although a lot of members leave them outdoors all winter I hope this will add a few years to each. In summary the timer controls all of the power , the only possible way for the SWG to run without the pump would be for someone to unplug the pump, if you feel that this would be a problem I think you can purchase a cover with a lock for it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.