Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do I need to buy pool Pillows?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Swisher, Iowa

Do I need to buy pool Pillows?

Got an above ground 21 foot pool and this is the first time I am closing it. Hearing about the pool pillows and wondering if I need to use these to properly close my pool. Why couldn't I just use the two large Float rings I have to do the same job as the pillows? Just asking because I don't know. Thanks!
    Retired Navy Chief (CTOC)
    21ft round 4ft AG 9367 gallons, floater with pucks as needed, Waterway PB 19inch Sand, Waterway PB 1hp SPL (not sure of type), Rheem LP Heater, Hayward Aqua bug, Aqua Luminator Light. Located in Iowa.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: Do I need to buy pool Pillows?

Pool pillows are not really needed, I don't use them with my fine mesh winter cover. What type of cover do you have? I would guess the float rings will work if you do want to use them as a pillow.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

Re: Do I need to buy pool Pillows?

If the cover is solid, you just need something to keep it from sinking under the weight of a winter's worth of rainwater/snow/etc.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry