Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

View Poll Results: How many people use PolyQuat/algecide when closing pool?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

13 43.33%
  • no

17 56.67%

Thread: How many people use PolyQuat/algecide when closing pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

How many people use PolyQuat/algecide when closing pool?

How many people use PolyQuat/algaecide when closing pool?
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How many people use PolyQuat/algecide when closing pool?

This is the first year we are closing using BBB method recommendations vs. pool store method. (been with BBB exclusively 2 seasons now but - dah - did not seem to find BBB closing recommendations till this year). Every previous year - 5 - we've followed the pool store advice and opened to a green pool each and every time. Since we still have a few bottles left over from the conversion, we will use the polyquat till it's gone. I am pretty confident we will open to a clear pool. Thanks to BBB and TFP!
    16 x 28 Doughboy Mystic Garden AGP with 7' deep end (used expandable vinyl liner) ~11,800 gals. Deep end main drain. Thru-the-wall skimmer, one return at deep end. Media Master 150# sand filter. Doughboy PowerPak II pump, 1 hp. Pentair MinimaxCH 150m natural gas heater. Polaris 65 when it feels like working . TF-100 test kit. No longer 'pool stored' 5 years and counting. In sunny but fickle metro-Detroit.

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't use it.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Me neither. Close late and open early with only liquid chlorine.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

No here as well. 5 yrs using BBB.

Open in mid-April, close in mid-October, run it up to a little above shock and open to a clear pool.
    Jim

Southern Frederick County, MD - Leisure Moroccan 38 Fiberglass Pool - 19,800 gallons
    Pentair 1.5 hp 2 speed pump - Cartridge filter - Dolphin robot - TF-100 Test Kit - SWCG

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't use it either, my pool has the loop lock on but the pump still runs 2 hrs a day until the water gets below 60 then I pull the pump and blow out lines. Nothing else added.
    19,000 gal - Vinyl IG - Sand filter -1.5hp. - Taylor k 2006 - Loop Loc cover

7. Back To Top    #7

do you guys have solid covers or mesh covers?

My problem is I have a mesh cover so some sun gets thru
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

8. Back To Top    #8

I have a fine mesh cover, but it blocks the sun pretty good. Also, in my climate (and maybe yours?), the pool freezes solid, so nothing organic happens during that frozen period.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

yes shocked at closing in mid October. but still ended up getting green in the spring, started turning green under the ice.

think I'll try that way again this year, but top off the shock level before it freezes, have one of those robots to stir up the water.

10. Back To Top    #10

I have a solid cover and take it to shock level when closing in mid October, opening in April there's usually 20-30% of my shock value remaining.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]