Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much filtration needed during off-season

1. Back To Top    #1

How much filtration needed during off-season

My pool is shut down for the season, and I'm just passing time until my water temp gets under 60 F. Do I still need to run the pump/filter as much as I did during the summer months?

33,000 Gallon, 20x40 Vinyl Inground, 500sq feet cartridge filter, 3/4 HP Hayward Super Pump, Installed 6/2013. Central Virginia, USA

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: How much filtration needed during off-season

Certainly not nearly as much but keeping your water in good shape for the closing will give you the best chance of a trouble free opening.

It's a judgement call based on your observations of the pool water, but I would certainly run it some. Other than electrical costs (not much), there really are only benefits.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

Definitely not. Run it enough to keep it clear, but I think you'll find that you can safely drop it down to 2-4 hours per day.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4

Baltimore, MD

I envy you guys who can wait so long in the season to close your pools. If I wait till the water drops to ~60 I'll be SHOVELING leaves out of the bottom.
    1988 installed, 45,500 Gal, IG, Gunite w/spa
    60 sqft DE Filter, Pentair WhisperFlo 2 HP WF-28 pump, "Shasta" infloor cleaner.